Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Jenny Monthly Challenge - March Reveal, Part 8

Project #8 was the exact opposite of project #7. While #7 turned out exactly like I was picturing it, well, #8 definitely did not!*

I'm getting ahead of myself though. First things first, here are the beads that were in the eight muffin cup:



There you see a nice eclectic mix of vintage ceramic, wood, crystal, and glass. (As a sidenote, I bought those ceramic tube beads at the same time as I bought the ones I used in Project #3... I was on vacation with my parents a year ago, and ran across them in an antique shop. These particular beads made me think of dragon's scales, so I just had to get them! *grin*)

And here is what I made with them:



...That is not the first necklace design that I made with them. In fact, this is the last piece that I finished in this entire Monthly Challenge--I kept poking it and poking it, trying to get it perfect. Everything that I tried just didn't look right.

(Another sidenote: this is also why I was trying to re-teach myself how to pearl knot last week, so that I could knot these beads on waxed linen cord... That did not go well. At all. Ah well--maybe next project!)

Still, persistence paid off! After much trial and error (and some tears... yeah, there were tears), I am pleased with how this final version looks. So much so, that I went ahead and made some earrings to match! 


Yes, these are pretty identical to the earrings that match Project #3.
Variations on a theme... If it works, don't mess with it!

I think my favorite part of this necklace is how it drapes... Which is made possible by those lovely gold connectors that I snagged from another vintage necklace. It's always so fun to repurpose pieces of broken jewelry, giving them new life:





So, after a lot of frustration, I am happy with this set. Those beads still make me think of dragon scales, and I like how they look with the mixture of brass and gold. The necklace is adjustable, so it can work with almost any neckline... And that drape is simply lovely.


Success!

There are four more pieces to go in this rolling reveal... Come back in another hour to see project #9!

---
* - For those of you just tuning in, I'm doing a rolling reveal of all the projects I made for March's Monthly Challenge... It was a muffin tin challenge, and there were 12 projects overall.

Want to see the other projects I made for this challenge? Here are the links--I'll be sure to update as they are posted:


Project 1
Project 2
Project 3 
Project 4
Project 5
Project 6
Project 7
Project 8 (you are here!)
Project 9
Project 10
Project 11
Project 12

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)