Friday, November 18, 2016

We're All Ears: November Reveal

The inspiration for this month's We're All Ears challenge was candy.

...And not just any candy, but the delicious drop candy made by the Tallahassee-based company Public Displays of Confection using vintage equipment, as shown in the following video:


Everything about that process is fascinating to me--and not just because the secret recipe used to make said candy was created by a shop that was based in Cincinnati. How cool that the rolling machines are still in use, and that you can essentially taste pieces of history?

...Tasty tasty history. 

Not my picture!
Nectar Candy Drops, on sale at Public Displays of Confection.
Also, they have an entire YouTube channel dedicated to candy-making, in case you're interested.

So, that was the inspiration. 

And from that inspiration, I made two pairs of earrings!

These pairs are essentially two takes on the same theme: citrine (yummy yellow like the candies), and gears (industrial and vintage feeling like the rollers).

First up is pair #1:
  

With my wrist being upset, I tried to keep the wire-wrapping to a minimum. The result was a pair of brass/copper/bronze earrings with lemony citrine drops. The movement of these earrings is wonderful, and they aren't heavy at all.


Next up, pair #2:


When I saw those citrine rectangles, I immediately thought of the nectar candy drops--and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.

Now, this pair may have been a little more ambitious than my wrist was allowing... The citrine doesn't lay completely flat on top of the gears, and probably could use a little tweaking. Still, you get the idea! I'm pretty happy that they look almost identical to what I was imagining.


I really enjoyed the inspiration for this month's challenge... I'm even planning on ordering some of those nectar drops--they sound so delicious.

As always, thank you to Earrings Everyday for hosting this challenge! Be sure to go there and see what everyone else made.

...And thank you for stopping by! I appreciate my readers so much, and am glad that you could see what I created for this challenge.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Love your earrings with the gears. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use the tiny gears! Beautiful beads too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combination of the gears and the citrine! Great job. And I hope that your wrist is doing much better soon. It's so aggravating when our bodies don't cooperate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute, the amalgamation of citrine with the gears is indeed the perfect ode to the lemon drops machine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)