Friday, March 16, 2018

We're All Ears - March Reveal

This month's We're All Ears Challenge, hosted by the talented and wonderful Erin Prais-Hintz over on the Earrings Everyday Blog, was all about contrast.

...specifically, the contrast of black and white.

Not my photo!
Photo by Samuel Zeller on Unsplash

An achromatic color palette is always an interesting one to play with... I don't do so very often, so it was fun looking through my black and white beads to see if anything in particular stood out. 

I was looking for different patterns or designs or textures that really caught my eye. I usually associate black and white either with geometric patterns (like the ones shown here) or black ink drawings (specifically zentangle designs), so I was curious if I could find something to mirror that aesthetic.

Not my photo!
Photo by Ricardo Gomez Angel on Unsplash

The result? Not really. 

Hah. 

I did end up making two pairs of earrings--and I like them very much. But they aren't exactly what I had in my mind when I started digging through my stash. And that's all right! It just shows that ideas morph and change, and creativity doesn't always listen to our rules. (And that I probably will be revisiting this challenge at some point, too! Heh.)

Here are the earrings that I did make:


...They sort of match. 

I realize that these aren't complicated, construction-wise... I wanted the main interest to be the contrast between the beads. 

Both pairs use white howlite (which was a surprise gift from my husband this week--hee!) and silvertone metal. The shorter ones were finished off with black agate, the longer ones with some paper beads I made. All of the beads have grey patterning--the howlite has a matrix, the agate has striations, and the paper beads have hints of writing.




So, there you go! Thank you so much for stopping by today to see what I made... Be sure to swing by the Earrings Everyday post to see what everyone else created for the black-and-white theme.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. All are very nice! I love the pair with the paper beads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like most about this challenge is that removing the color makes me focus on the shapes and the placement of beads. I quite like the shape of those paper beads! Thanks for playing along with me! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are really lovely! They make me feel warm and cozy, like a pair of jeans. I particularly like the ones with your paper beads. Hey, you got one more pair made than I did. You're totally winning! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great earrings! And I agree with you, the contrast between the black and white beads calls for simpler designs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elegant earrings. And I agree with the others, those paper beads are especially great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are all wonderful earrings. The paper earrings are so sleek looking.















    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a place in life for all colors and contrasts :) Black and white is a classic and so are your earrings plus the little whimsy of the paper beads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are lovely black and white earrings Anafiassa!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are over-flowing with creativity! Love the black while palette. Love all your jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job pushing yourself when you didn't find what you were hoping for/expecting to! I really like the pair with the paper beads... I tend toward long ear bobs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)