Saturday, March 25, 2017

Bead Soup - Reveal!

It feels good to be a part of another Bead Soup Blog Party! This is the 9th one--and the first one with a theme. That's right, it's the BSBP: Bead Hoarders Edition! We were encouraged by the hostess, Lori Anderson, to package up a special bead that we've been hoarding and send it to our partner.

As a reminder, here are the lovely hoarded beads that my partner, Lennis Carrier of Windbent, sent to me:


...And she definitely, definitely spoiled me! (Lampwork fishie and coordinating beads? Check! Shell pendants by Michelle McCarthy? Check! Cabochon by Blu Mudd? Check! ...And the list goes on!)

Now, I know that this is a large blog hop, so I'll get right to the jewelry that I made. Overall, I made three different sets--and I still didn't use everything. Ha!


Set #1


This first set was made using one of the pendants by Michelle McCarthy of Firefly Design Studio. (Who, coincidentally, was my partner for another Blog Hop I have done--and I love her work!)


I paired the pendant with Czech glass, crystal, and matte-finish grain stone--the last of which I thought matched the texture and color of the pendant perfectly. 

I then knotted it all on brown waxed linen in a slightly--slightly--asymmetrical pattern.

  
  

I also made matching earrings! 

Although fairly simple and straightforward, they are also slightly asymmetrical--like the necklace itself.


I really enjoy how this set is gently beachy... It's not bright and boisterous, but rather calm and quiet and still quite lovely. 



Set #2


Next up: the fishie set! 

Heh. Unlike the previous set, this one is bright and boisterous--and delightfully so.


To make this set, I also used a few other pieces from my Bead Soup--namely, one of the lampwork saucer beads and some of the coordinating green beads.

I paired those components with green pearls and peridot, and even made some paper beads to match. (I was so excited--I found the lime-and-white paper while visiting my parents last week, and it was perfect for this project!)



Now, I actually tried another version of this necklace first--with a different orientation of the fish--but it just wasn't what I was going for. 

So! At the last minute (i.e. yesterday), I took it apart and remade it... and, while I was at it, even made two pairs of earrings to match!

Both earring pairs use a combination of beads from the Bead Soup and beads from my stash. One pair is also considerably longer than the other--and surprisingly lightweight, due to the use of paper beads.


  
I love this set. It's unapologetically cheerful, lightweight, and has a wonderful amount of sway. After making it, I wore it for the rest of the evening--and I couldn't help smiling.



Set #3


This last set highlights the second ceramic focal by Michelle McCarthy. As you can tell, it involves a tassel like Set #2--but, style-wise, it's quite a bit different.


I paired the ceramic component with peridot, prehnite, pearls, green kyanite spears (found on vacation!), and paper beads (also from vacation). Fun fact: the paper beads were made from a paper with a sand print on it.

I even tried my hand at some more asymmetry! Asymmetry is not really one of my strengths, but it was fun stretching my creative muscles. Case in point: I tried to balance out the width of the ceramic component by adding kyanite spears to the other side of the necklace. The pictures don't quite capture it, but balance is definitely achieved when the necklace is worn.

...And I really couldn't help but add a tassel. I really do like tassels.



...Now, I call this a set because I really did make earrings to go with this necklace. Unfortunately, between making the earrings and settling down to photograph them, I completely lost one of them. Oops! I'll try to update this once I find them.

Until then--here! Have some more pictures of the necklace instead. :)

  

...And, for fun, have some pictures in different lighting:

  

Of all the things I made, I think I'm most pleased with this one--because it stretched my creativity, because I saw something in my mind and made it happen, and because it felt like an accomplishment when I finished. 

Set #1 is gentle. Set #2 is whimsical. And this one... this one is elegant, and reminds me that I am indeed a capable jewelry designer. (It sounds silly, but I'm not always the most confident artist out there!)


So, there you go! That's what I made for this Bead Soup Blog Hop!

Thank you, Lennis, for the wonderful beads! I'm so excited to play with the leftovers from my soup.

Thank you, Lori, for organizing this blog hop!

And thank you for stopping by to see what I made! Be sure to stop by my partner's blog to see what she created with the bead that I sent her... and for a full list of participants, go here!

Happy hopping, and I hope everyone has a great Saturday!

44 comments:

  1. Wow. I am so excited. I love everything. The first necklace is subtle and reminds me of digging in shallow water for clams. The second necklace is fabulous fun with the fish swimming up and the look of lures and buoys. I like the asymmetry of the third necklace and of course, tassels are very you; the green kyanite is amazing. You took pieces I love and made them look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful designs, I especially like your monochromatic necklace - green is my fave colour! It reminds me of nature and spring and those swirled green beads are to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really excited to see what you made because I like your sense of color and all your beautiful tassels, and you did not disappoint! The first necklace is just the sort of necklace I love. The brown beads are perfect for the pendant (I am a big Michelle McCarthy fan!) and then the blue and green are so soft. The middle necklace is so much bubbly fun! The last is my favorite. I love how you rose to the challenge and a did a great job with asymmetry and that fringe! It looks like the most beautiful, elegant seaweed. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tassels are where it's at!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazingly beautiful...ty for sharing...your vision is spot on and your color combination is perfection

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I'm almost speechless. All 3 are fantastic. In terms of color, I love the first, as those color are what I gravitate to - they grab me. The lime piece is so fun, and smilefull (is that a word?) :-) and the sea piece, also quite remarkable. You have a real gift. great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how graceful and organic your work looks - you have such a gift for design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning work! I love all the fresh colors and textures and the length of the necklaces! All pieces I would totally wear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous ! Im in awe of that amazing necklace in perticular

    ReplyDelete
  10. All necklaces are stunning, but the first one-absolutely my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Wow Wow, so very lovely all of your pieces. The last one I do agree with you it is a beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You made so beautiful necklaces, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jenny, I would not have thought to put blue and green with the first pendant but it pairs very well. The fishie set is wonderful. It is my favorite of your designs. Kudos to you for doing asymmetrical and doing it really well. I like your tassels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the first and last one in particular -- the last one especially! I wannnnnnt that!

    I love the colorway you picked for the first necklace. I'm always stumped when I have a pendant in a neutral color so it was great to see how you managed it.

    That last one though -- looove it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an assortment! I feel I must be in an earring mood this evening because I am coveting those long earrings in your "fishy" set.

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I really love all of the pieces you made that last one has me drooling! The fact that it's long, asymmetrical and uses all my favorite colors + has a tassel!!!? I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All so gorgeous! Love the fishy necklace best. Green is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, when I saw the piece you used in the last necklace, I had no idea what I would have done with it. You came up with such a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe what you did with these pieces. The fish and paper beads....just wow. I actually loved them all. Fabulous creativity

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow breathtaking designs! My favorite was the fish and your design incorporating it is wonderfully creative and lively!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Easy to see why you'd be smiling while wearing the second necklace after making it - it's quite colorful and cheerful, not to mention designed well. I think all of your pieces - earrings and necklaces - would welcome loads of nice comments and make you feel good when you put them on. I especially enjoy your last necklace - the colors and your wire work on the tassel are extremely pleasing to look at. Overall, very, very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa! All three sets are amazing! I love the addition of the paper beads, and the tassel on the last necklace is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was looking to see tassels and you did not disappoint me; they are fabulous. Though for a little time looking at the first necklace I started to wonder if you had made a conscious effort to not make a tassel. but you more than made up for that with the beautiful paper bead tassels

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the third necklace. Your choice of color and design make fir a stunning necklace. So glad I'm not the only one who loses things that should be right where I put them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love everything! That first necklace looks like it would be a go-to piece (aka infinitely wearable!) but the fishie necklace is such fun and the way you used the shell in the last one is uber creative. Well played!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the rustic, earthy feel to your pieces, all are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. gorgeous results, tassels are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this the ceramic focal is bold but paired with delicate tassel it's awesome! You should post a pic of necklace on a body :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Incredible designs! They are all so different yet so perfect in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your pieces are all fabulous! I love the glass fishy!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Every piece you made is awesome. The paper beads are perfect! I especially like the pinks and greens paired together. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE your pieces, each so different but with a common thread somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your pieces! Especially the last one!

    ReplyDelete
  34. "swoon" those are some beautiful pieces...I truly, truly, love the fishy one...and I love the other two...perfect match all the way around!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your tassels are always so beautiful - and this time is no different! I can see why the green necklace made you smile to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love! Love. Love. All my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Tremendous things here. I'm very happy to peer
    your post. Thanks so much and I am having a look forward to touch you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

    ReplyDelete
  38. Heya! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems
    with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard
    work due to no back up. Do you have any solutions to
    stop hackers?

    ReplyDelete
  39. It's hard to come by experienced people on this topic, but you seem like
    you know what you're talking about! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's a shqme you don't have a donate button! I'd certainly donate to this brilliant
    blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.

    I look forwardd to brand neew updates and will share ths
    blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)