Friday, October 20, 2017

We're All Ears - October Reveal

This month's theme for the We're All Ears challenge was the moon.

...The Harvest Moon, to be exact.

Not my photo!
Credit: Ganapathy Kumar on Unsplash

Sadly, I didn't actually get to see the Harvest Moon this year. However, I have seen them in years past, and can certainly call to mind just how beautiful they are. (And Google is certainly helpful, too! *grin*)

So, with that inspiration in mind, I made two pairs of earrings to go with this theme. One pair is inspired primarily by the luminous color of the Harvest Moon, and the other inspired more by its shape.


Pair #1

Orange!
I was delighted when I found these shell ovals while rummaging through my stash... That hue is exactly what I think of when I picture the Harvest Moon, and their special AB finish make them practically luminous. 


The addition of the round charms--whose designs make me think of stylized depictions of the moon--completes the look.



Pair #2


As previously mentioned, this pair was inspired by the shape of the Harvest Moon. 

...More specifically, it was inspired by how its size changes as it ascends. After all, the Harvest Moon appears enormous when it first rises in the sky, and then gets smaller (but no less beautiful) as it nears its zenith.


I showed that change using the three different layers. Each layer gets consecutively smaller as they move inward and upward, starting with the large brass outer ring and culminating in the orange pearl at the center--just like the Harvest Moon appears as it moves up the sky.


So, there you go! Those are the earrings that I made for this month's We're All Ears challengeThank you for stopping by--and be sure to hop over to the Earrings Everyday blog to see what everyone else made. :)

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Both of your designs depict the harvest moon well. I totally get the three layers to show the moon "getting smaller". It's amazing how big it looks when it first rises isn't it? Lovely job on both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like about your earrings is that there is a lot of movement in them - both physically and visullay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your earrings are beautiful and I love how you brought the size change into the last pair - very inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two great pairs! I love the thought behind the second pair with the changing size of the moon as it rises in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something tribal about your earrings, something pertinent to an ancient cult of the moon :) Impressed by the story behind the second pair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed the Harvest Moon as well because it was really stormy here for a few nights. I was pretty bummed, but yes those Google images are a perfect substitute! I love that the moon can inspire so many different moods and looks for people. I love the simplicity of the pearl in the rings, and that soft orange color of the shimmering MOP beads is perfect! Thanks for playing along with me in the We're All Ears challenge. Stop by on 11/3 to see the next challenge! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)