Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Jenny Monthly Challenge - March Reveal, Part 11

Two more Monthly Challenge reveals to go!*

While the previous project was bright and sunshiney, project #11 is... not. I seem to gravitate towards darker hues, and the beads that I chose for this project were no exception:


Shell, tiger eye chips, and a fossilized shark tooth. Like you do.

...Fossil shark teeth aren't usually equated with things that are bright and sunshiney, after all. 

And yes, that is a certified fossil shark tooth. I bought it recently at the Newport Aquarium on one of my many excursions there... I've been wanting to make a shark tooth necklace for quite some time, so this Monthly Challenge was my chance to do so.

This is another design that did not go as I intended. I ended up not using the tiger eye chips at all. I also ended up having to go back to the store to get more of those shell beads, because I didn't have enough to complete my project. No amount of mixing in chain or leather or tiger eye met my vision--and I tried at least three different designs.

Eventually, I decided that simpler was better, and this set came into being:



All of my more elaborate designs just didn't work, because they detracted from the focal... And, since the focal was the entire reason I was making this necklace, I definitely didn't want to do that!





I like the feeling of this set. It's more primal and tribal-feeling than the other pieces that I made for this challenge, which works well considering it's a shark toothIt also has an amazing weight to it--substantial and striking, it makes me feel like I need to come up with a good shark-legend when I wear it.



All right... One more reveal to go! Can you believe it? Today's blog-post-athon is almost over!


Come back in an hour to see the final project for this Monthly Challenge! Woo-hoo!

---
* - For those of you just tuning in, I'm doing a rolling reveal of all the projects I made for March's Monthly Challenge... It was a muffin tin challenge, and there were 12 projects overall.

Want to see the other projects I made for this challenge? Here are the links--I'll be sure to update as they are posted:


Project 1
Project 2
Project 3 
Project 4
Project 5
Project 6
Project 7
Project 8
Project 9
Project 10
Project 11 (you are here!)
Project 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)