Sunday, May 15, 2016

Bead Peeps Swap N' Hop - Reveal

After months in the planning, it's finally time for the Bead Peeps Swap N' Hop reveal! Yay!

As a reminder, my partner was the awesome Michelle McCarthy of Firefly Design Studios. A talented clay artist, her blog is here... be sure to swing by and check out what she made for this challenge!


And, as another reminder, here are the wonderful beads that she sent me:


I just love the colors! *swoon*

That lovely selection includes some beautiful ceramic beads by Michelle (the bird focal and the artisan headpins with matching beads), as well as some Czech glass, fluorite, and copper accents. Just look at that little birdie clasp!

Now, one of the main rules for this challenge was that we had to make something with the handmade components that our partners sent. In my case, that was a delight! Upon seeing those pieces, I knew immediately what I what I wanted to make... And, happily enough, everything just fell into place. 


So, without further ado, here is what I made:



Yep! I made a long bird necklace, and some matching drop earrings!



About the necklace: it's quite long, and incorporates the handmade focal as well as the clay rounds from Michelle. 


Also included are copper chain, Czech glass rondelles, clay brown rounds, and faceted glass... and, of course, a copper leaf. (I decided to save the fluorite and and other beads from Michelle for another project.)





Since I had some time left, I also made two other pieces to go with this set: another pair of earrings (this time with leaf dangles, to match the one on the necklace), and a wrap bracelet (that includes one of the brown Czech glass beads that Michelle sent me--if you look closely, you can see if in the dangle).







Now, you may have noticed that I also didn't use that adorable birdie clasp Michelle sent me... but I do have a plan for it! I have an idea rattling around in my head to make a three-stranded bracelet in the purple and copper and brown colorway, using the birdie as the closure. I didn't finish (or start) it in time for this reveal... But I hope to get to it one of these days!

Still, I am very pleased with what I did make... After all, it's hard to go wrong when given such lovely things to work with!


Here is one more group shot:



But wait, there's more!

More, you ask? Well, when I sent beads to my partner, I included a second kit in addition to the main collection of beads for her to use. The fun part about that second collection was that I actually had an identical set of beads myself... I thought it would be fun if both us made something with the same materials. 


Here is the second soup that I sent her, including a ceramic focal, pearls, Chinese crystals, and five different colors of paper beads (made by me):




So, what did I make with those components? 

Two necklace-and-earrings sets, as it turns out.


Here is the first set: 


Yep, I made something with a tassel.

This set utilized all five shades of paper beads (in a gradient), the clasp, the pearls, and both colors of the crystal bicones.




Now try as I might, I couldn't work the ceramic focal into that necklace design... So, not to be outdone, I decided to make set number 2:



This set uses the aforementioned focal, some of the paper beads, the square metal swirly patterned beads, and some of the the crystal bicones, paired with silvertone findings and chain.


The necklace actually went through a couple different iterations until I came up with something I was pleased with... For example, I first tried making wire-wrapped links instead of stringing the beads, but the result was too delicate for the heavy focal. Still, I like the final result... I'm glad that I persevered.



So, there you go! Those are the pieces that I have made for this Swap N' Hop... Thank you so much, Michelle, for sending me such lovely beads! And thank you, those over at Bead Peeps, for making this possible!

As I mentioned before, be sure to check out Michelle's blog to see what she made with the beads that I sent her:




...And be sure to check out these other awesome designers, and see what they made!



Linda Anderson - Hostess - http://fromTheBeadBoard.blogspot.com/...

Teresa Schurter http://treezstreazurs.com/

Jenny Kyrlach http://anafiassa.blogspot.com/ (you are here!) 

Terry Jeanette Carter http://tappingflamingo.blogspot.com 
Kelly Hosford Patterson http://travelingsideshow.blogspot.com/

Rachel Mallis http://mintmonarch.com 

SEED BEADERS

Palak (aka Pallavi Asher)http://kalaabhushan.blogspot.in/ 

Bobbie Rafferty http://beadsong.blogspot.com 


...And if you've read this far, woo-hoo! 


Thank you so much for stopping by... I hope you have a wonderful day!


25 comments:

  1. Undoubtedly you are the queen of lariats and long necklaces - beautiful creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work - I especially love the bird necklace. You did all the pieces justice. And what a great idea sending a second collection - lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore the bird on a branch necklace you created! I also love the color combo of white, black and red. Your paper beads are so beautiful and fun to design with. Thanks for being my partner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!! I love the beads you were sent, the colors the bird on a limb focal the whole thing is right up my alley. You did an amazing job. I adore nature themed jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Beautiful work - I love the colors of the birdie necklace set. And so impressed with everything you did with the second collection! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bird on a branch necklace is my favorite too, just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Talk about some gorgeous jewelry. It's hard to pick a favorite because it is all ones that I would wear often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative! I love the purple set and the bird necklace, I would wear that in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I just love the bird theme and that bird clasp so cute. I love the necklace but the wrap bracelet is my favorite with the bird charms. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I just love the bird theme and that bird clasp so cute. I love the necklace but the wrap bracelet is my favorite with the bird charms. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenny I like all of your pieces. The bird necklace is adorable. Giving you and your partner matching bead is a wonderful idea. The gradient necklace is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hiya Jenny - what GORGEOUS pieces you made! My fav has to be the bird necklace - it just makes me swoon. =) and I LOVE the idea of both of you having the same beads - you may see that idea again, if that's ok. =) What an incredible job you did and SO creative!

    Linda
    http://fromTheBeadBoard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite piece is your long bird necklace. It is a beauty and I love all the pieces that you made to go with it. What a fun idea to send you partner a set of beads the same as what you have and then to make something from them. I can't wait to see what she does with them. I really like the earrings that you made for the last necklace which is pretty special too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome work.. my fav has to be the bird necklace and earrings.
    What a great idea.. the matching bead soups.. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That wrap bracelet is my favorite! The colors of the leather and the buttons and the beads all just complement eachother so well.

    Rachel
    www.mintmonarch.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did great!! I love the reds and turqs, but I am a purple girl...love the bird!! You did an amazing job with your SWAP!! ~KM http://www.kraftymax.net/bead-peeps-swap-n-hop-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOOK at all the FUN you had!!! I love all of your necklaces, the birdie one is my favorite but they are all really well done and Beautiful!!! Be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in love with that bird necklace! I like that you made 2 pairs of earrings for it. And sending/using an identical soup as your partner sounds like lots of fun! Love those paper beads!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent work, I too love the bird necklace! I can see it with a chic turtle neck sweater and leggings....way cool! And to send a second set to create with, now that is an awesome idea and one I think should be made into a swap....(hint, hint) Love the paper beads. I have never been able to master them, and with so many on the market, why bother. I have some black and white ones too that I got several years ago...I wonder if I got them from you? They look like it...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, that bird necklace is so cute ! Love your work. And I adore that paper bead necklace you have made :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bird focal is gorgeous and I love your choice of a wire wrapped chain and scarce beads for it! The paper beads tassel is so impressive! I like what you did with your soup and your paper beads!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. I love everything BUT the bird necklace has to be my favorite! The paper beads are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love those purple colors! I love it all....! And the idea of sending a 2nd set of stuff and having the same for you, for both of you to do something with? Well I've thought about doing that too, lol. I thought it would be cool for two people to have the same stuff and see what they come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love that purple set! so fantastic! I also love the idea of sending and keeping an identical collection of beads for you and your partner to each create with...very fun extra challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're so right, you truly did receive some wonderful components. That purple birdie is adorable. The idea of a long necklace just seems to fit so exactly right with your design too! I love your idea for you both creating with the same set of beads. Together you two came up with a marvelous collection!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)