Saturday, September 5, 2015

MintMonarch Leather Feather Blog Hop - Reveal!

Guess what time it is!

That's right--it's time for another reveal! I get to show off what I made for the Leather Feather Blog Hop, hosted by Rachel of MintMonarch! (As you might have guessed from the title of this post, heh.)

As a refresher, here are the feathers that I received from Rachel:


Here I am, hard at work:

Re-using this picture from an earlier post because I love it...
Staring at my feathers while on vacation, deciding what to do with them!

And, after much debate and deliberation (and multiple dead-ends), here is what I made!


Phoenix Feathers of Dusk and Dawn -
Twin Necklace Sets


My original plan was to make earrings. After all, they're a pair! They're meant to go together!

However, that was not meant to be. I tried three or four earring designs, and none of them really worked for me. 


  
While I was playing around, however, I pulled out these components. It was when I couldn't decide between pewter/antique silver or brass/antique gold, that a lightbulb went off. Why not make matching-but-not-quite-identical necklaces? 

...And so the twin dusk (silver) and dawn (brass) necklaces were born.

And why Phoenix feathers? Because why not!

The dark red accents are garnet--drops for the necklaces, and rounds for the earrings.

I still can't decide which color combination I like more. I usually go for red and brass, but there is something about the red and silver that really appeals to me. I'm also tossing around a story idea to go with these--the thought of twin feather necklaces is just too juicy for my fairy tale sensibilities to pass up!

So, there you go! That's what I created for this challenge. Since this is a blog hop, here is the list of all of the participants... Be sure to stop by and check out what they have made!




Rachel--thank you so, so much for making this possible! I loved working with these feathers, and it was a delight to be a part of this blog hop.

And thank you for stopping by to see what I made! Have a wonderful weekend!

7 comments:

  1. How clever to make a pair of necklaces. wish I'd thought of that.
    I like that you are able to choose which metal colour to wear ,depending on your mood and the colour of the daylight that day.
    I envy your first photo. we all wish we could work in such surroundings. great creative inspiration.
    good photos too, I like the colour rendering in the natural light esp when it's diffused by trees. indoor lighting always gives a yellow cast .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your pieces! Your creativity to use clock parts and filigree is just astounding to me. They are pieces that I would NEVER have been able to create, but I love them! You did SUCH an amazing job! SO gorgeous!!

    Linda
    http://fromTheBeadBoard.blogspot.com
    http://cherryOnTopDesign.co

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jenny! These are just beautiful! I love the matching but not matching sets! These would be a perfect best friend set! Thank you so much for participating in my hop! I hope you had as much fun as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I tried to post a comment yesterday from my phone, but I am not seeing it here, so I guess it did not go through. I LOVE what you did with the feathers! These are perfect sister necklaces. I love that you were able to get two pieces out of them! Thank you so much for participating in my feather love with me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fantastic gift idea for a pair of friends or sisters! I really like how the long charms lay over the red feathers, all the bits stack up perfectly. Very clever. I love to see ideas that are so different from mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful necklaces! I like it that you didn't have to choose and just made both. I love the idea of dawn and dusk twins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both necklaces equally and think both colors work. They are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)