Saturday, July 20, 2013

Bead Hoarder's Blog Hop - Reveal!

Guess what time it is!

That's right... It's time for the Bead Hoarder Blog Hop reveal! Yay!



This blog hop is run by the fantastic Lori Anderson, of Bead Soup fame.  The idea behind the hop was to encourage people to use some of those "special" beads...  You know, the ones that have been amassed and squirreled away and deemed too precious to use.

...Until now!

Personally, I took it as an impetus to tackle my stash and bring some beauties to light. Specifically, for this hop, I tackled two different components.  And, in my regular modus operandi, for each component I have made a set: a necklace, a matching pair of earrings, and a hairstick. 

Apparently, that's just what I do.  *grin*



Set 1: Dinosaurs!

The Beads 

First up, are these darling little dinosaur beads.


Awww, look at the little apatosaurus!

Why I Was Holding Onto Them

I bought these beads back in 2009 on a trip to a lovely bead store called Beadazzled. Now, Beadazzled was the very first specialty bead store I had ever been to (I think I was in elementary school?), and so it's rather special.  It's also located in my hometown--where I don't live anymore--so visits are few and far between.

But, in 2009, I was in town visiting my parents for Christmas, and went there with my Mum. (I blogged about it here and here.) I had just started making jewelry again after a hiatus, so it was fun to gleefully flit about amongst all the shinies.


Me picking through the beads... Heaven!

Now, about the beads. They are hand-carved bone... and, as such, they were expensive.  

Yet, the price was not why I was holding onto them. Instead, I was holding onto them because they reminded me of a lovely time spent with my Mum, and I wanted to make something perfect with them.  

...And that fear of not being perfect made me just keep them in a cute little container, until a few weeks ago.


What I Made

So! Now with the back-story out of the way, here is what I actually made with those beads! I used some copper chain, czech glass beads, and some serpentine rounds (which I also purchased at the same time as the dinos). I actually re-did the necklace twice, because I didn't like how it originally turned out--but the end results make me happy.

The necklace:





The earrings:





The hairstick:





Everything together!



Ta-da!

They aren't perfect (each piece has a little flaw that you can't see but I know they're there), but that hardly matters. It's happy that they are finally out of the box; I can wear my memories and smile.

After all, it's hard not to smile when looking at these little guys. :)


Set 2: Sand Dollars 

The Beads

The second component that I tackled weren't exactly beads, per se...  Instead, they were these beautiful and delicate sand dollars.


Yep, these are the real thing... So dainty and fragile!

Why I was holding onto them

These sand dollars were a gift from one of my sisters-in-law... She bought them while on her honeymoon (also, I believe, in 2009). 

Honestly, I just thought it was so sweet of her to think of me! I certainly wasn't expecting a present, and I thought it was really special.


It's a tree! Sure, it looks like just any old tree, but this was actually
taken when they were having their wedding photos done.
So, it's relevant! A relevant tree! :)

Again, I was holding onto them for sentimental reasons--I wanted the jewelry design to be "good enough" for something so thoughtful.  

(And, on a sidenote, I also admit to being a little scared of breaking them. They are so incredibly fragile, and I didn't want to mess them up!)

Again, I wanted it to be perfect. 

...Sensing a theme?


What I Made

Now, I should mention that I actually did break a sand dollar while doing this...  It just completely crumbled while I was working on the hairstick.  Sadness!

But, I realize that if I hadn't even tried, I would have never come up with these beautiful designs.  And--using dainty lightweight chain, purple frosted glass, and water-like clear glass--I think that these designs do justice to the sand dollars themselves.

The necklace:




The earrings:





The hairstick:




All together!



So, there you go! 

Those are the pieces that I made for this Bead Hoarders Blog Hop--six in total, and using two special components that are no longer in my stash! Hurray!


Final Thoughts...

I realized three things about myself while doing this. Granted, they were all things that I already knew, but they came into sharper focus.

1. I am more likely to hoard something based on sentimentality rather than price.

2. My perfectionism sometimes prevents me from trying.

3. ...I have a lot of beads.

And, because of all of those things, I'm going to try to do this again! There are more beads that I want to tackle and make into pretty things...  And I will be sure to post them here when I do!

---
And, since this is a blog hop, my post wouldn't be complete without this...  Feel free to visit all these lovely talented people, and see what they've made! 

The List of Participants!

1.  Lori Anderson, Pretty Things
2. Nancy Dale, NEDBeads
3. Roxanne Mendoza, Roxi Designs
4.  Melissa Trudinger, beadrecipes
5.  Rana Lea, Rana Lea Designs
6.  Perri Jackson, Shaktipaj Designs
7.  Rita Avila, Jewel School Friends
8.  Linda Anderson, From the Bead Board
10.  Erin Guest, Renlish


11.  Joan Williams, lilruby jewelry
12. Diane Hawkey, Diane Hawkey
13.  Jo-Ann Woolverton, It's a Beadiful Creation
14.  Sue Kennedy, SueBeads
15.  Lisa Cone, Inspired Adornments
16.  Kari Asbury, Hippie Chick Design
17.  Nichole Byers, Nichole Byers
18.  Lori Jean Poppe, Adventures in Creativity
19.  Linda Landig, Linda's Bead Blog and Meanderings
20.  Lori Schneider, Bead Addict


21.  Molly Alexander, Beautifully Broken Me
22. Cece Cormier, The Beading Yogini
23.  Niki Sayers, Silver Nik Nats
24.  Elsie Deliz-Fonseca, Eliz-Eliz and All That Craft
25.  Amber Dawn, Inventive Soul
26.  Heather Powers, Humblebeads
27.  Sarah Goode, Pookledo
28.  Monique Urquhart, A Half-Baked Notion
29.  JJ Jacobs, Coming Abstractions
30.  Cheri Reed, Creative Designs by Cheri


31.  Robyn, Museiddity
32.  Catherine King, Catherine's Musings
33.  Jacquie, Bead Gypsy
34.  Janet McDonald, Singing Woods
35. Kay Thomerson, Kayz Kreations
36.  Tanty Sri Hartanti, TJewellicious by Tanti
37.  Hannah Rosner, Good River Valley
38.  Rochelle Brisson, A Creative Chelle
39.  Nelly May, Smelly Nelly
40.  Skylar Bre'z, Brising Beads


41.  Beti Horvath, Stringing Fool
42.  Christie Murrow, Charis Designs
43.  Leanne Loftus, First Impression Design
44.  Valerie Norton, Hot Art
45.  Judy Riggs, Rigglettes
46.  Crystal Thain, Here Bead Dragons
47.  Terry Carter,  Tapping Flamingo
48.  Sue, Mid-Life Great Expectations
49.  Nan Smith, Wired Nan
50.  Miranda Ackerley, MirandAck Arts


51.  Marie Covert, Creating Interest
52.  D'Arsie Manzella, This Here Now, Mamacita
53.  Stephanie Haussler, Pixybug Designs
54.  Lori Bergmann, Lori Bergmann Design
55.  Johanna Nunez, The Lovely One Design
56.  Mary Govaars, MLH Jewelry Designs
57.  Becky Pancake, Becky Pancake Bead Designs
58.  Alicia Marinache, All the Pretty Things
59.  Debbie Rasmussen, A Little of This, A Little of That
60.  Nat, Grubbi Ceramics


61.  Marjorie Savill Linthwaite, Bennu Bird Rising
62.  Cheryl McCloud, One Thing Leads to Another
63.  Heather Otto, The Crafthopper
64.  Candida Castleberry, Spun Sugar Beadworks
65.  Tracie Dean, Dean Designs
66.  JuLee Wolfe, The Polymer Penguin
67.  Ginger Bishop, Lil Mummy Likes
68.  Karen Mitchell, Over the Moon Design
69.  Jeannie Dukic, Jeannie's Blog
70.  Dini Bruinsma, Angaza by Changes


71.  Birgitta Lejonklou, Create With Spirit
72.  Shalini Austin, Jewellery by Shalini
73.  Jayne Capps, Mama's Got to Doodle
74.  Ile Ruzza, Ilenia's Unique Beaded Jewelry
76.  Annita Wilson, AW Jewelry 
77.  Sherri Stokey, Knot Just Macrame
78.  Hannah Trost, PZ Designs
79.  Linda Inhelder, Must Haves Jewelry
80.  Miri Agassi, Beadwork


81.  Hope Smitherman, Crafty Hope
82.  Dyanne Cantrell, Dee-Liteful Jewelry Creations
83.  Susan Bowie, Susan Nelson Bowie
84.  Megan Milliken, MaeMaeMills
85.  Menka Gupta, Menka's Jewelry
86.  Ambra Gostoli, Chic and Frog
87.  Lori Lochner, Bloghner
88.  Gerda Jurimae, Gerda's Crafts Blog
89.  Susan, Mistheword
90.  MaryLou Holvenstot, MaryLou's time2cre8


91.  Mary Shannon Hicks, falling into the sky
92.  Karin King, The Sparklie Things Blog
93.  Christa Murphy, Adventures of One Beady Woman
94.  Jenny Davie-Reazor, Jenny Davies-Reazor
95.  Donetta Farrington, Simply Gorgeous
96.  Mallory Hoffman, Rosebud 101 - For the Love of Beads
97.  Danielle Kelley, Imbue the Muse
98.  Kym Hunter, Kym Hunter Designs
99.  Dolores Rami, CraftyD's Creations
100.  Marcia Dunne, 13 Alternatives


101.  Marlene Cupo, Amazing Designs
102.  Emma Todd, A Polymer Penchant
103.  Wendy Holder, Jewelry by WendyLea
104.  Michelle Escano, The Cabby Crafter
105.  Louise Glazier, Lily and Jasmine Treasures
106.  Dana Hickey, Wind Dancer Studios
107.  Lennis Carter, windbent
108.  Anne Betenson, Crystal River Beads
109.  Audrey Belanger,  Dreams of an Absolution
110.  Lisa Stukel, Carefree Jewelry by Lisa


111.  Janine Lucas, Travel Stories
112.  Claire Lockwood, Something to Do With Your Hands
113.  Kathy Engstrom, Catherine's Dreams
114.  Paula Hisel, Simply Beadiful
115.  Karla Morgan, Texas Pepper Jams
116.  Mischelle Fanucchi, Micheladas Musings
117.  Kim, Cianci Blue
118.  Linda Sadler, Ida Louise Jewelry
119.  Karen, Spokalulu
120.  Jennifer LaVite, Dry Gulch Bead and Jewelry


121.  Andrea Glick-Zenith, ZenithJade Creations
122.  Karen Martinez, Fairies Market
123.  Robin Reed, Artistry HCBD
124.  Amy Bright, LABweorc
125.  Jasvanti Patel, Jewels by Jasvanti
126.  Tammie Everly, TTE Designs
127.  Karin Slaton, Backstory Beads
128.  Natalie Moten, Running Out of Thread
129.  Sharyl McMillian-Nelson, Sharyl's Jewelry & Reflections
130.  Jenny Kyrlach, Wonder and Whimsy - You are here!


131.  LiliKrist, Handmade by LilK
132.  Jessica Klaaren, The Truth Space
133.  Cynthia Abner, Created Treasures
134.  Beth Emery, Stories by Indigo Heart
135.  Heather Davis, Blissful Garden Beads
136.  Jeanne, Gems by Jeanne Marie
137.  Sandi Volpe, Sandi Volpe
138.  Laren Dee Barton, Laren Dee Designs
139.  Steph, Confessions of a Bead Hoarder
140.  Carolyn Lawson, Carolyn's Creations


141.  B. R. Kuhlman, Mixed Mayhem
142.  Patty Miller, Cabari Beads
143.  Elizabeth Bunn, Elizabeth Beads
144.  Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things
145.  Lizzie Clarke, The Need to Bead
146.  Christina Miles, Wings 'n' Scales
147.  Patricia, The Color of Dreams
148.  Marde Lowe, Fancimar
149.  Ev Shelby, Raindrop Creations
150.  Sarah Small, By Salla


151.  Perri Jackson, Shaktipaj Designs
152.  Laurie Vyselaar, Lefthand Jewelry
153.  Pam Traub, Klassy Joolz
154.  Lisa Harrison, Daisy Meadow Studio
155.  Anzia Parks, Anzi-Panzi's Work Shoppe
156.  Ingrid, Lilisgems Handcrafted Jewelry Inspirations
157.  Andra Weber, Andra's Joyful Journey
158.  Kelly Hosford Patterson, The Traveling Side Show
159.  Adlinah Kamsir, Dreamstruck Designs
160.  Marci, That Nothing Be Wasted


161.  Kris Lanae Binsfield,  Cherish Designs
162.  Stephanie Perry, Mustard Bead
163.  Birgit Klughardt, Gites Beads
164.  Inge von Roos, Inge's Blog
165.  Rebecca Sirevaag, Becca's Place
166.  Sandy Markley, Gypsy Spirit Designs
167.  Elena Adams, Lena's Beady Blog



(You may notice that there are a few numbers missing from that list...  Some people, unfortunately, had life get in the way and respectfully asked to be removed. Best of luck to them and all that they are going through!)

And, phew, that really is the end! 

Here's an internet high-five for getting this far!

Thank you so, so much for stopping by, and I hope you have a wonderful day!  

---

EDIT
Just to make sure that I'm not giving people the wrong impression, my Mum is very much alive and well!  

I just miss her, because we live in different states and I don't get to see her as much. But! We're visiting my parents again this Christmas... and there might be more Beadazzled in my future.  ;)

70 comments:

  1. Lovely pieces! Kudos on using the sand dollars--I never considered using them in that way. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! I am glad that you like them! :D

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful pieces, and the sentiments behind them make them even more special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I'm so glad that you stopped by to see them--and I really appreciate the comment! :)

      Delete
  3. You are so much braver than me about using those sentimental beads as well as using the sand dollars. I had completely forgotten about some of the sentimental beads I've held on to and you just reminded me of them. And the sand dollars. . .I just know I'd break something so fragile like those. You did a fabulous job with them though! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really appreciate your comment and kind words! :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely and fun pieces. I enjoyed reading your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so, so glad that you liked everything! And thanks so much for taking the time to comment--it means so much to me. :)

      Delete
  5. i love all of the pieces you created!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much... both for stopping by, and for your kind words! So glad that you liked everything! :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely pieces and lovely sentiment! I love that you make matching hair sticks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! :)

      Making hairsticks has come from years of having really long hair, and nothing pretty to put them up with! And, even though my hair is shorter now, hairsticks are a habit! :)

      Delete
  7. Loved the cute ivory carvings and your necklace is spectacular! And the second one is just as lovely, so feminine and love the soft colors. Well done, my friend, well done!!

    Laren :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay, I'm so glad that you liked them! Your kind words have made my day! :)

      Delete
  8. Ah, so lovely! The sweet dinosaurs are perfectly showcased, and oh...those gorgeous sand dollars. You absolutely made them shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, for your comment and your kind words! I really appreciate it... and I'm so glad that you liked everything! :D

      Delete
  9. I would say that your Dinos' earrings are a must for the summer! They are so fun!

    Ambra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee, aren't they fun? I'm looking forward to a chance to wear them.

      Thank you so, so much for stopping by... I really appreciate the comment! :)

      Delete
  10. the sand dollars are wonderful but those lil dinos are pure joy, great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they delightful? I'm so glad that I finally made something with them, so that I can wear them! :)

      Thank you so much for your comment... I'm so glad that you stopped by! :)

      Delete
  11. What a fun set of dinos!!!! I love how the doubled necklace still looks whimsical - it could so easily have dominated, but your balance is perfect. :) :) The second set with the sand dollars..... sooooooooooo beautiful and ethereal. I adore it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you for your kind words! I tried hard to get the balance right for the dino necklace--I'm glad that I succeeded! And I'm glad that you like the sand dollar set, too... I'm really happy with how it turned out. :D

      Thank you again for your comment... It really made me smile! :)

      Delete
  12. Jenny, I believe many of us hoard for the same reasons you have listed. I am so glad you decided to overcome and share your sweet creations with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad that I did, too... And I really appreciate your kind words! :)

      Delete
  13. I love the dinosaurs, they are adorable, and your set is great! The sand dollars are beautiful and I love what you did with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate you saying so! :)

      Delete
  14. love the whimsy of the dinos, and the sand dollars are gorgeous. If this hop has taught us anything I think it's that wanting to do the precious ones justice is a pretty common trait among us. And you are in some pretty good company with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I do think you're right. I'm now encouraged to tackle some of my other precious ones!

      Thank you so much for commenting... I really, really appreciate knowing that I'm part of such a wonderful community. :)

      Delete
  15. That fear of not being perfect hangs me up too. You did a great job with your treasures. I esp. like the sand dollar necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beads from a lovely time you spend with your Mum, awwww so sweet!
    I gather you are from England? My husband is from England as well he's half Scottish. I lived there 4 years with him in Aberdeenshire. I sure miss the UK. So old worldy and charming! Are you still there or were you visiting? Anyway I think your dinos are really adorable~pretty! I love what you have done with them! A real conversation starter. Your Mum would be quite proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you!

      And, actually, I wish I could say that I'm from England... I'm actually from the U.S. (was born in Maryland, now live in Ohio). However, I've been calling my mother Mum since grade school--I have no idea when or why it started, but it stuck. I certainly don't regret it, though... I absolutely love England and Scotland both--I've visited there before, and would love love love to do so again! :D

      Thanks so much for taking the time to comment--and I hope you get to go back to visit the UK sometime soon!

      (And, incidentally, my sister doesn't call her Mom, either--she calls her Maman.)

      Delete
  17. I love that both designs hold such special meanings for you. Everything looks perfect and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! I really appreciate your kind words! :)

      Delete
  18. Amazing designs with beads that have special place in your heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They really are special... I'm so glad to have the opportunity to make them, and then share them! :)

      Delete
  19. How lovely to share the stories behind the beads you've been hoarding :-) You certainly have done them justice. Ps. I just think those dinosaur beads are adorable - love their little smiles - happy dino's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they wonderful? They make me smile! Thank you for stopping by and letting me share them with you! :)

      Delete
  20. I love working with bone beads ! And those dinos are so adorable. And, HAIRSTICKS ! Wow !

    The sand dollar set is so lovely, too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your comment made me smile. :)

      Delete
  21. That darn perfectionism paralyses me too! The dino beads are too cute - what a great set of jewellery you made with them. And the sand dollar designs are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is hard getting over perfectionism, but can be so rewarding when it happens. Thanks for your encouraging words--I'm so glad that you liked everything!

      Delete
  22. I enjoyed the stories behind your treasures. All of your creations are wonderful. I'm on the coast of North Carolina, so the sand dollar necklace and earrings are extra special.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how lovely! I've never been to North Carolina, but I do love the Atlantic Coast--I grew up in Baltimore, and went to college on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I have many memories of summers at the ocean.

      Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting... I am so glad that you found something special. :)

      Delete
  23. Your creations are delicious and enjoyed the story behind the dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! I am delighted that you enjoyed it! :D

      Delete
  24. Wow! Beautiful creations! My favorit are the earrings eith the little dinos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, I'm so glad that you like them! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting--I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete
  25. So much memories, so much history :-) What a great story! I like your final thoughts too :-) Have fun with this great and amazing jewellery, and I'm sure you will take good care of it! It's so beautifully♥ designed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! I really appreciate your kind words. :)

      Delete
  26. Love your earrings! Beautifully designed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad that you like them. :)

      Delete
  27. How wonderful to read the memories with such great designs! I don't think I would ever be brave enough to try the sand dollars - they turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate you stopping by and commenting! I'm so glad that you liked the sand dollars! :)

      Delete
  28. All the pieces are beautiful and I love the little dinosaurs. I'm particularly fond of the sand dollars. I'm a bead artist and I make them with polymer clay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much--I'm really glad that you liked everything!

      (And I've actually drooled over the sand dollars in your shop--you make such pretty things!)

      Delete
  29. The little dinosaurs are so adorable, with the sly little grins on their faces! But the sand dollars are truly something special - the way you treated them is so elegant and feminine. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your kind words... I'm so, so glad that you liked everything! :D

      Delete
  30. Jenny your bone dinosaurs are cute. Your design lets the dinosaurs shine. Great job using some of your hoarded beads. It's cool that you now have memory pieces to wear. I like the sand dollar set too. The beads you chose to go with the sand dollars showcases them perfectly.Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, for your comment! I'm so glad that you liked everything... And I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me so! :)

      Delete
  31. I've been on this hop for a week now (my secret life after kids are in bed) and of all the beautiful pieces I've looked at I ca honestly say I like yours the most. Maybe we have the same tastes, I don't know but I just love love love your dangly dinosaurs and what you've done with the sand dollars blows me away. Beautiful with their delicate little iridescent drops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... thank you so, so much! I'm so grateful and rather humbled that you like my pieces so much... I've actually been feeling a bit down about my creative endeavors recently (silly, I know, considering all of these nice comments!), and your words have really encouraged me. Just, wow.

      Thank you so much for stopping by, and thank you so much for commenting! I appreciate it more than I can say.

      Delete
  32. Replies
    1. Oh, yay, thank you! I'm glad you like them! :)

      Delete
  33. soo cool! I love the dino beads and what you did with them. the delicate sand dollars are very special too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I'm so glad that you liked everything! :)

      Delete
  34. Love the dinosaurs and the way you used them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love the pieces that you made as well--so pretty! :)

      Delete
  35. The dinosaurs are adorable and the sand dollars are beautiful! I love both of the sets you made and the sentimental memories you shared behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment--it means a lot to me. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)