Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Adventures in 3D Modeling: Hairstick Edition

My adventures in 3D modeling continue!

Most recently, I've been working on modeling and printing my own hairstick blanks. After all, I currently can't turn my own sticks... but I would still love, love, love to be able to offer lovely creations built on unique hairstick blanks.

So!

Back to 3D modeling I went.

...And I came up with this:


Oh, look!  It's a hairstick prototype!  :D

It still absolutely amazes me that I was able to model that on the computer, and it is now a physical thing that I can hold and touch.

When on the computer, it wasn't much to look at:




And when uploaded to Shapeways, the site that I use to print my models, it still didn't look like much:
But!  When I got them printed (I got two in purple and two in white), they made me downright giddy.

Here are the purple sticks:






And here is what I made with them: a pair of hairsticks for the Bead Soup Reveal.



Here are the white ones:




   

And here is what I made with them: a pair of hairsticks for the Spring Fling Kit Challenge.



Now, there are still some issues with these prototypes... There is a ridge down the middle, for example, and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. (It doesn't show up on the model, so I'm not sure how to remove it.) Also, the sticks actually bend, so I'm not sure of their structural stability.

But!

I modeled them and made them, and I think they are awesome.

I guess I'll just have to see what the next set looks like! (Whenever I get around to making them, heh... Woo for being happily busybusybusy!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)