Monday, October 4, 2010

This weekend

This past weekend, my husband and I went to an amusement park together.  The best part:  the place that he works had their company picnic there, so our tickets were free!  


Unfortunately, we weren't quite able to get the company's full money's worth out of our time there--it was cold, rainy, and I wasn't feeling well enough to go on any rides.  (For the record, I have actually never ridden on a roller coaster...  however, I have a delicate stomach and get vertigo just by standing still.  I just wasn't ready to see whether or not these rides would make me sick--especially when I was already feeling questionable at the start.) 


All of that aside, however, we still had a wonderful time.  We walked around the park, holding hands and being remarkably sappy.  We went to the picnic area and ate the free food.  We got our picture taken by the over-zealous park employees.  (That had nothing to do with the matching StarCraft 2 shirts that we were wearing...  Nothing at all.)


My wonderful husband even let me look in some of the over-priced souvenir shops.  The only thing I bought was a silly mood necklace...  It was in the shape of a rose, and it made me smile.  It was also cheap.


Ultimately, though, my favorite part was the mini-Eiffel tower.  Made at 1/3 scale, it was still the tallest structure on the premises.  When we first walked in, it made quite an impression:




Notice the lovely blue sky in the above picture?  The powder-white clouds?  Yeah, that was just a tease.  Not even an hour after that picture was taken, clouds rolled in and the temperature dropped significantly.  Soon the bright and sunny tower looked like this:




The change in weather, however, did not stop me from wanting to go up.  Getting propelled forward at speeds higher than maximum cheetah velocity, all while going over monstrous curves?  No thank you.  However, going up a glass elevator and then standing on a completely barred-off platform?  I can do that!


It was cold up there, but the view was remarkable.  


Look!  A roller coaster that I didn't go on...

Oh look...  another one!

 A picture of the kiddie land at the park...  also notice some
of the beautiful fall colors starting to peak out...


We stayed at the top for a good 15 minutes, just enjoying the sites.  Once we got back to the ground, however, I couldn't help but take more pictures.  I was enamored of the steel-work at the base.








So intricate but strong, functional but still beautiful.  I love the way that the lines cross and intersect, making a structure that is sound but still visually delicate.


We didn't stay much longer after that...  it kept getting colder, and as we walked back toward the entrance, it started to rain.  I did get one more picture that I really like, though...  On one of the side paths, there was a cheerfully-lit carousel surrounded by the dark frames of trees.



All in all, I had a very nice time.  It is not often that my husband and I get to go out together on these sorts of day trips...  However sappy it may sound, I greatly enjoyed just being with him.  (And, of course getting frappuccinos on the way home was certainly a plus...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)