Wednesday, July 30, 2014

July Monthly Challenge: Check-In #5

Hello all! It's time for the second-to-last July monthly challenge check-in! 

...I realize that I'm running a wee bit late, but July isn't over yet! I should be able to squeeze out two entries before it's done (one today and one tomorrow, if everything goes according to plan).

So, let's get down to business! 

This particular check-in covers Tuesday 7/22 to Saturday 7/26... And this is what I wore:

Ta-da!

Yep, it's another mix of purchased-and-made items... and a lot of blue. Apparently, I wear a lot of blue.

And now, for close-ups!

July 22

I actually made this set on the 22nd to match my outfit. 

I had three of those lovely lampwork beads, and I was trying to figure out the best way to showcase them. The final result was quite simple, but perfect for the occasion. 

July 23
  
These pieces were made by the same lady who made the lime-green set I wore on July 12th

It's sad that she's no longer online... I really like her style. Ah well--I'm glad I was able to get these pieces before she decided to close!

July 24

This is my go-to jewelry set.

It's the one that I tend to wear every single day if I'm not careful. In fact, one of my unspoken goals for this month was not to wear this set, because I wear it so much every other month.

Yet I made the exception on July 24, because it was a super stressful day. 

Why was it stressful? Silly reasons that I don't really want to get into here, but they involved having to be articulate and assertive and dealing with business people not being entirely truthful. It required every ounce of confidence and grown-up esteem that I possess, and was not a day for experimentation or trying out something different. 

...It was a day that I just needed to wear this set.

It makes me think of stained glass, like the rose window in a cathedral.

Now, I realize that it doesn't look like much... it's simple, and could be written off as nondescript. But this set matches practically everything I wear, the necklace falls at just the right spot on my collarbone, the earrings are just large enough to peak out of my hair without being overbearing, and the design is just detailed enough to be interesting without being too busy.

I love this set, and it was very nice to not have to worry about my jewelry that day--I just grabbed it, put it on, and knew that it was perfect. 

...It sounds goofy, I'm sure, but it definitely helped me get through my frustrating and stressful July 24.

July 25

I made this necklace years ago--except that in its original conception it was hand-knotted on black silk thread, with a beautiful gold clasp. I made the earrings to match that coloring.

Then, when I went to wear it on the 25th, the necklace broke. :(

Undeterred, this is the quick solution that I came up with. I still really wanted to wear this set on that day, because it matched my outfit perfectly, so I ended up just restringing the necklace for sake of time. 

I do hope to re-knot it later, but it honestly worked out fine... It would have been nice if it hadn't broken, but at least it still worked out! :)

July 26

Another set with a story!

First up: the earrings. They were made by the lovely lady at Timeless Trinkets on Etsy. I bought them just because I liked them, but later realized that they perfectly match the necklace, which I had purchased years earlier.

The necklace: When I was in high school (I think the specific year was 1996), my mum and my sister and I took a summer trip to England. We traipsed all over the British Isles--from London to Inverness to Land's End, and had a wonderful time.

One of many places we visited was Tintagel Castle in Cornwall--which was both awesome (yay archaeology and Arthurian legend!) and terrifying (ack heights and panic attacks!). This necklace I purchased in the gift shop there, before we took the slippery cliff-side stairs to see the ruins.

Whenever I wear it, I can't help but think of that awesome trip.



So, there you go!

Five more days of jewelry down, and just five more to go!

Thank you again for reading, and following me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)