Thursday, July 31, 2014

July Monthly Challenge: Final Check-In

Well, here it is... the last day of July.

And, by extension, it is also the last day of the July monthly challenge.

...Golly, this month certainly went by quickly.


Still, I am happy to report that I successfully completed my challenge! 

I did indeed manage to wear a new jewelry set each day of July. 

I have covered all but the last five days in previous entries, so now it's time to show off what I wore from July 27th until today, July 31st:


Ta-da!

...And now for some close-ups...

July 27

The One Ring to rule them all!

...Complete with matching One Ring earrings. (Yes, I realize that would make it three One Rings, which just gets silly... perhaps two are decoys?)

I made these pieces using charms from a Lord of the Rings bookmark set I had. Fun, simple, geeky, and a nice addition to my July 27th outfit.

 
July 28

This set is all about recycling and giving things a new chance to shine.  

You see, the pendant is actually a converted vintage clip earring... The back was coming off, so I helped it along its way and then glued on a bail. The beads for the earrings are also salvaged--they are from a discarded piece I picked up at a thrift store. Even the chain is recycled--it was originally part of another necklace that I decided to dismantle.

...What fun to take old, discarded pieces and make something new!

 
July 29

It is probably no surprise that, even when I buy jewelry from the store, I cannot help but tinker. 

(Disclaimer: now, if I'm buying from a specific artist, that's another matter entirely--I'm paying for their vision and their time and their hard work, and I don't take that lightly. But from a place like Target or Kohl's? All bets are off!) 

So, yes, case in point: this is actually a pendant from a necklace that I bought awhile ago... I decided that I didn't like the original necklace design, so I removed the pendant and strung it on a velvet ribbon. The result is elegant, classy, and definitely not as gaudy as the original.

The earrings? They are store bought, and I left them alone.


July 30

This elaborate necklace all started with a pair of earrings I got on clearance from a big discount store (Gabriel Brothers, maybe?).

As soon as I saw the earrings, my mind started to tinker and plot, and I suddenly had this fully detailed idea about a necklace I wanted to make. 

So, of course I bought the earrings and got to work--and the finished necklace turned out pretty much exactly as I envisioned it. Made with copper and glass and a lot of brecciated jasper, it has a fantastic weight and was one of the first pieces I ever made that made me feel like a jewelry designer.

And the clearance earrings that I bought? You can see one of them in the pendant--the two discs with the round jasper dangle inside.

(The earrings that I paired with the necklace were purchased the same day, I believe--also on clearance... they aren't identical, but they definitely match the feeling of the necklace!)


July 31

Another necklace that makes me feel like a jewelry designer.

My friend and I went to Michael's one day, and we both ended up buying the same beads. She ended up making an awesome choker with hers... and I made this. Six strands of sparkly grey and black bling, that looks fantastic when being worn. For awhile this was my go-to necklace, before I moved on to my current one... It was fun bringing it out again.




So, there you go! A month's worth of jewelry, all chronicled here.

The sad (exciting?) part is that I have only begun to scratch the surface of what I own. Perhaps I'll do this again, some other month down the road...

But, for now, I stand victorious!

Thank you all so much for following this challenge with me... I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for me! 

Now, to think about what I'm going to do for August...

Have a great night, everyone!

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)