Monday, October 8, 2012

Vacation Crafting, Part 1: Buttons!


This is Part 1 in my Vacation Crafting series!  Keep checking back this week--because there will be more!  :D

---

Usually when I go on vacation, there is one craft that really captivates my attention.

There is something about this place that
really gets the creative juices flowing!

Sometimes it's making jewelry for my mother.  Sometimes it's sewing patches onto old jean skirts.  Sometimes it's making numerous things using Sculpey--from nature scenes to fictional currency (usually from one of my stories).

…And then there was this year. 

This year, I experienced a craft explosion.  So much so, in fact, that I'm dedicating this entire week's worth of blog entries to describing all the different things I did.  

And, first up, we have:


Buttons!

They look so innocent, don't they?
...They don't see the wire looming in the background.  ;)

It all started when my mother commissioned me to make her a pair of brown button earrings to match a button necklace that she owns.  

Now, the weeks before vacation were nuts (due to my husband's broken leg and potential surgery and not even knowing if we were going on vacation at all)...  During that time, all I was able to do was buy some different buttons for her to choose from.

Some of the buttons--
shades of brown and tan and cream.

Once we were finally on vacation, however, things settled down...  And within two days of being there, I had made her two sets of brown button earrings that she was thrilled with.  (Of course, I didn't take pictures of said earrings--ah well!  Just imagine that they are dangly and button-y and happy.)

But I didn't stop there.

You see, it just so happened that she had brought an entire bag of different brightly-colored buttons with her.  

Brightly-colored buttons that she put at my disposal.  

This bag was much, much fuller when I first tackled it--
I wonder if my mum realized what a monster she was
about to unleash.  Heh.

...From that bag of brightly-colored buttons, I wire-wrapped many many pendants and just as many matching earrings.

Here they are--all in a bundle!

Some of the sets--the big ones in the middle are
the pendants, and the smaller ones are
matching earrings (sans earwires).

More of them--once more, the bigger ones are
pendants, flanked by matching earrings.

All of them together!  Seven sets, total.  Well, at least, in this style.
There were a few others that I planned out that were a bit more involved. 

So.  

Much.

Fun!

They are all bright and happy, and make me smile.

...And, once again, I didn't stop there.  The next time that we went to the store, I actually picked up a collection of black and white buttons--as well as some matching beads.  I had a plan to make a necklace with them.

Here is the beginning of the pattern that I choose for them,
using the chain as a guide for how long I wanted it to be.

The aforementioned matching beads:
white glass 8mm pearls, and black glass 6mm pearls.

Unfortunately, I have not finished this necklace.  Why?  Well, first of all, vacation ended before I was able to complete it. Second, I ran out of beading wire.

And so, the necklace is currently waiting patiently--both for me to have time to return to it, and for me to go get more wire.  I am excited, though, because it will be really cool once it's done!

Not only that, but I have more ideas regarding buttons, too...  I doubt you've seen the last of them!  Mwahaha!

Ahem.

...And that was my adventure into the world of wire-wrapping buttons.  It was simple and happy, and a great deal of fun--a perfect way to de-stress from all the things leading up to vacation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)