Monday, October 15, 2012

Ruffle Scarves!


So, I may or may not be addicted to making ruffle scarves.

Eh, who am I kidding?  I am very addicted.

Pretty and ruffly and in all sorts of color combinations!  :D

I first encountered ruffle scarves while on vacation.  At one of the shops I visited, someone was selling two lovely, frilly scarves.  One of them was a beautiful dark blue; the other was the colors of autumn.

I was in love.

However, I had also just spent most of my vacation money on vintage gloves and estate jewelry, so I had no money to spend on pretty ruffle-y scarves.  Sadly, I parted from them--determined that I would one day learn how to make them.

In case you thought I was kidding... Here are some of the things
that I bought instead of those ruffly scarves:
three pairs of gloves, a doily to re-purpose, and an estate necklace.
...

Forward ahead a week, when I had returned from vacation.  I was in a craft store, and recognized the yarn that had been used in both of the scarves.  I bought the skeins, more determined than ever to make my own ruffle scarves.

That was when I went online, and discovered that ruffle scarves are currently a phenomenon.  Seriously, ruffle scarves are apparently everywhere.

At first, I was reticent to jump on the ruffle scarf bandwagon.  Why work on something that everyone else is doing?

Of course, that lasted a whole three seconds.  Why?  Simply because ruffle scarves are pretty and feminine and make me happy.

Gratuitous ruffle scarf picture!

So, I started making ruffle scarves.

...And kept making ruffle scarves.

So far, I have made three types of them.  The first is the knitted variety.  I am fairly certain that this is the type of scarf that I saw while I was on vacation.  The directions for these are simple to find--most ruffle yarns have a pattern printed directly on the skein sleeve.  

Colors of Autumn...
Just like that first beautiful scarf that I found.

Dark Night-Sky Blue...
Just like the other scarf that I saw on vacation.

The second is the crocheted variety.  Again, the directions are fairly easy to find--since ruffle scarves have become so popular.  This is the lightest of the versions--which can be worn long, or doubled over to make it a little bit thicker (much like the knitted variety).

Here is one of the crocheted scarves.

Here is the same crocheted scarf,
doubled over to make it thicker.

…And the last is also a crocheted version--but using a pattern that I made up.  (I have just learned how to do single crochet, so I am already experimenting with it.  Heh.)  This is a much thicker scarf, using two skeins instead of one…  And it is much warmer as a result.  In fact, it could possibly function as a winter scarf (something that I plan to test once the weather gets colder).

This scarf is so long and thick that it's actually more like a boa...
And I love it!

I realize that the difference between these three is rather difficult to see in these separate photos...  So, here's a comparison picture between all three:

On the Left: the thick boa scarf
In the Middle: the knitted scarf
On the Right: the simple crocheted scarf

So, yeah.

Addicted.

Already, I have made many, many more of these scarves than I could possibly wear.  That is why I have--just today--posted some of these lovelies to my store...  With matching hairsticks, no less.  (Interested?  Look here!)

For someone who just recently learned to crochet, I think I am doing quite well.  And what fun to add new accessories to my store--with just the right touch of wonder and whimsy.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I have another 20 ruffle scarves to make.*

---

*  Okay, so maybe not 20.  Although I certainly wouldn't complain if that were the case.  Heh.

...Just out of curiosity, what color ruffle scarf would you like to see?

2 comments:

  1. My inner child says "Yellow!" She likes yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--I love yellow! ...Kind of like my recent obsession with orange...

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)