Friday, May 26, 2017

Wonder and Whimsy Monthly Challenge - May Reveal

Yellow!

...Not only is it a lovely color, it's also the basis for this month's Wonder and Whimsy Monthly Challenge. Woo-hoo!

Not my photo!
From Unsplash, credit Paul Green.

For those who didn't see my post introducing this month's challenge, here's a recap. At the beginning of this month, I realized that I don't really make yellow jewelry. Sure, I use it as an accent color... but a necklace that is almost pure yellow? I had never really done that before. So, since it's May--and the days are getting longer, and the sun is shining more--I figured that this would be a great month to change that.

And I had success! For this challenge, I made two sets--and I'm very happy to report, they are very yellow indeed.


Set 1


This first set is made with glass--vintage pressed glass ovals and two shades of glass pearls, to be precise. They are strung on beading wire, and matched with bright silvertone findings. This makes yellow the dominant color (yay!), with white and silver serving as the accent colors.



To be honest, this set was actually a last minute addition to this challenge... I hadn't planned on making it, but I ran across the vintage pressed glass and it just knew I had to use it for this purpose. After some playing around, I decided to keep the design simple to show off those beads (and because the next set more than makes up for it, ha!). 

All in all, I'm very happy with how bright and cheery this set is... Indeed, perfect for this challenge. :)


Not my photo!
From Unsplash, credit Aaron Burden.


Set 2


Now, while the previous set is beautiful in its simplicity, this next set... well, it got a little out of hand. But in a good way, I think!

So, would you believe it if I told you that the necklace seen above is the same as the necklace seen below?


It is! 

But, how can that be, you ask? Well, let me back up.

This necklace is made with two strands of wire-wrapped yellow beads interspersed with gold metal rounds. The yellow beads range in materials from glass to lucite to wood, randomly shaped and randomly spaced.

It can be worn over-the-head, with the toggle clasp and dangle hanging down in the front:




However, if you remove the dangle, double it up, and add the piece of silk, you can wear it like this:



 Oh, and did I mention that I made matching earrings? I suppose I should mention that here. :)


 Now, if you want to wear the double-stranded necklace a bit shorter, you can add this piece of chain instead of the silk:


...Or, you can wear the necklace as the over-the-head style, and wear the silk and chain as a bracelet: 


...Or, if you like super dangly bracelets, you can add the dangle and wear it like that:


...Or, if you have a smaller neck than I do--and like things that are a bit asymmetrical and funky--you can wear that as a necklace, too:


So! Confused yet? All in all, there are five mix-and-match pieces for this set... Here they are together:

Necklace, earrings, silk that can be worn as an anklet,
and dangle that can be added, well, to whatever you want to add it to.

The five pieces include: a strand of wire-wrapped yellow beads, a piece of silk with a toggle clasp, a piece of chain with a toggle clasp, a dangle that can be added to any part of the piece, and a pair of earrings.

And, you know, I'm honestly probably missing a few different options on how to wear this set. (I mentioned that the silk can be worn as an anklet... but did I mention that, depending on the size of your head, you could also probably wear it as an over-the-head necklace too? Oh, the possibilities!) 

...What can I say? I got inspired!

Not my photo!
From Unsplash, credit Natalia Luchanko.

I think it's safe to say that I had a lot of fun playing around with yellow this month. It's such a bright and cheerful color... it looks rather horrid against my skintone, but it's so fun! It even managed to sneak into some of my other jewelry designs... Apparently this was a month for creating unabashedly bright and happy things!

Thank you so, so much for stopping by today to see what I made for this challenge... I really enjoyed myself creating these pieces, and I hope you enjoyed seeing them. Be sure to come by next month to see what the challenge for June will be. :)

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I love the mix and match idea. IT would come in particularly handy during travel. Imagine having a metallic mix - you are good to go for an entire trip

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)