Thursday, May 25, 2017

JEM's Art Party - May Entry

Last month was the first month of JEM's Art Party over on Tumblr... and I'm happy to say that the mastermind behind it decided to do it again this month! Yay! (My entry for last month's party can be found here, if you're interested.)

As a refresher, the idea behind the Art Party is simple: every month, a series of prompts is posted, and people make art inspired by one (or more) of those prompts. What kind of art, you ask? Well, whatever kind the participants want to make. Writing, sculpting, knitting--you get the idea! 

So! With that in mind, here is this month's series of prompts:



...and, yes, I once again decided to make jewelry. I'm sure you're so surprised. ;)

In fact, I was so inspired by these prompts that I made the following set the same week the prompts were posted--and in addition to showing you pictures, I'll go ahead and walk you through my design decisions, too. 


Prompt: The Object

The shape of flames is what originally drew me to this pendant. My first thought was to use a sunburst pendant in orange--or at least yellow--but I couldn't find one in those colors.

I could, however, find one in blue. That ended up being fortuitous, because that made me expand into the next prompt...


Prompt: The phrase "whether the weather"

This phrase is what made me decide to go ahead and use the blue pendant. To make it fit, I went with the juxtaposition of bright yellow (sunshine) and cloudy blue (rain) for the main colors. The pendant works, since it's a combination of both. So, weather the weather is sunny or cloudy, this necklace matches it.

As a sidenote: I tried to find a yellow raindrop-style bead to hang from the chain extender, to even further the meaning, but alas I could not!


Prompt: The Color Swatch

I added the orange as a nod to the orange in the color swatch. Besides, orange is complementary to blue (on the color wheel, that is), and just seemed like a natural addition. It helps soften the shift from blue to yellow. 


Now for a little bit about the materials and the construction... The pendant is ceramic, the yellow rounds are glass, the orange beads are quartzite, and the blue bicones are crystal (I picked them because they are clear like raindrops). They are all knotted on blue waxed linen. The overall length of the necklace is 18 inches, with a chain extender. 

I had actually planned a second piece for this challenge--one based on the campfire picture-- but alas I couldn't get the pendant in time. If I do end up making it, though, I'll be sure to post it here, too. :)

Thank you so much for stopping by to see what I made for this challenge... Be sure to stop by tomorrow, when I show off what I made for my own Monthly Challenge. Yay!

Have a wonderful Thursday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)