Sunday, March 10, 2013

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone: Turmi Challenge

I have once again done something rather out of the ordinary, at least for me.

I have entered a contest.

Yes, an actual contest. You know, where people will scrutinize my work and judge it and compare it to the work of other people. This time last year, I don't think this is something I could have done.

A baby step out of my shell--but a step, nonetheless.

Egads!  What do seed beads have to do with this?!
Read on to find out!
(Hint: not peyote stitch...
my baby seedbeadery is not quite contest-ready.)

About the Contest

I am part of the Bead Soup Cafe group on Facebook. (Look at me, getting out of my corner and actually being social! True, it's on the internet--but I'm interacting with people!) 

This wonderful group of people is having a contest where people design jewelry based on a specific inspiration picture. 

This particular time, this is the inspiration picture:


Picture courtesy of the talented Dini Bruinsma of Angaza by Changes.

...How cool is that?

The picture was taken by Dini Bruinsma a few years ago, when she was visiting Turmi, Ethiopia (hence the name of this challenge).


Honestly, I think that it so appealed to the Anthropologist in me that I decided to participate.  After all, I might as well do something with that Anthropology degree, right? ;)


About What I Made

When creating my design, I decided to derive inspiration from the juxtaposition of shadow and light, the subtle changes in hue, the saturated earthy browns made golden by the sun.

And so, using that picture as inspiration, I made this pair of asymmetrical hairsticks.


Photo collage of the hairsticks--the picture I used for the contest.
Click to make bigger.

Why hairsticks?


For a number of reasons. Because they are one of my specialties. Because I have been pushing myself to experiment with different types of dangles. Because they are fairly unique, and I thought they matched the unique feel of the picture.

...And, well, simply because I like them.

Close-up of one of the focals.

It was rather hard to get this dangle to
hang right.

To be honest, this pair was surprisingly difficult to make. I don't usually work in asymmetry, but for some reason it felt right.  After all, the picture is not symmetrical--yet it still feels balanced.


So, I took extra time trying to balance the sides.



Here you can see more clearly the differences:
One dangle is longer, the other is wider.
One stick is darker, the other is lighter.
One focal bead is swirling upwards, the other is swirling downward.

And, since I know that most people aren't quite familiar with hairsticks, here they are in action:

Yes, that's the back of my head...
I believe this is my debut on my blog.

...The only thing harder than taking a picture of the back of my best
friend's head is apparently taking a picture of my own.


So, there you have it: my entry to the Turmi challenge.

I am still rather in shock that I did this (yep, working on my confidence), but I am very, very happy that I did so.

And thank you so, so much for reading!!



2 comments:

  1. You did a a wonderful job! I am inspired to give my hat pins a try again! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you for your comment, and your kind words... and I'm sure your hat pins will be lovely! :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)