Tuesday, February 12, 2013

TypeKey Hairsticks

So, I had an idea recently.

I told myself, "Self, why not make hairpins using the cool typewriter key charms that I just bought?  It'll be fun!"

And, sure enough, it was fun.

I made this:


Gold and brass and black--a classic, vintage feel.

...Only, I think I might have gone a bit overboard:

Yeah... I might have made nine of them.
Possibly.
There are eight here, and there's another one that is not shown.

So, yeah.  There's that.

What started off as a simple idea developed into me making nine really cool hairpin/hairsticks.  Featured are numbers 0 through 9, with the exception of 6.  (Why no 6?  Because, for whatever reason, the charms that I bought didn't come with one.  Bizarre.)


And, to be completely honest, these hairpins make me extremely happy.

Why?

Because, simply, I love writing...  

I love the look and feel of old typewriters and quill pens and fresh parchment.  While I tend to write either on the computer or in a simple spiral bound notebook, there is part of me that is enchanted by designer fountain pens and hand-worked leather journals... and, of course, my 1920s Underwood Typewriter.  (It still has all its working keys!)



These hairpins, to me, capture a little bit of that old-time-writing feel.

They hint at the elegance that came when words were put to paper with great thought and deliberateness... when there was no delete key and one mistake meant retyping the entire page.



Obviously, these hairpins feature numbers and not words...  But, to me, that's not really the point.

The point is that they are a link to another way of thinking, another way of communicating.



Words, nowadays, can seem cheap.


...But that doesn't have to be the case.



I need to remember that my words matter.

I need to remember to find the beauty in patiently-crafted speech (and emails!).

And I need to remember that I don't always have to wait for a special occasion to use those leather-bound journals and purple-ink fountain pens...  And the 1920s Underwood Typewriter, that has all of its working keys.

---

I hope to list these beauties on my store soon, when I figure out a good story to go with them.

Well, all except for the number 3.  The number 3 has already been spoken for.


2 comments:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)