Saturday, February 9, 2013

Happy Birthday, Mommy! - Part 2

Success!

In my last entry, I set a challenge for myself: to create something pretty using the colors yellow and purple.

Why yellow and purple?  

To celebrate my mother's birthday, of course!  You see, her birthday was yesterday... And, since her favorite color is yellow and mine is purple, I thought it would be fun to mix those colors to make something pretty.

...I had so much success!

Oh, look!  There's yellow...  and purple!

You see that hairstick there?  That is the first item that I made, using a yellow lucite rose I found in my stash.

Rose hairstick vanity shot.

I wasn't done, though.  Not in the slightest.

Now, as I suspected, I don't have a lot of yellow beads...  But, as I rummaged around, I found that I did have a strand of adorable carved butterflies.  I'm honestly not sure what stone they are...  But, they are yellow!

And so, I went about pairing them with textured purple-violet beads, which I thought well matched the butterflies' gentle hue.


Earrings!

And you know me, though.  Did I just make earrings? 

Heh.

Not quite.

Since I have been playing around making hairpins (more slender than my regular hairsticks), I decided to give that a try too:

Butterfly cascade!

Something I really like about these hairpins is that
they are so lightweight...  Very fitting, I think,
for things are delicate as butterflies!

And, well, what's a beautiful butterfly set without a matching necklace?


The grande finale!

Something amusing: I actually had to run out and buy more gold chain to finish this piece...  I didn't realize that I was almost out of that particular chain until I was committed to using it!

Ah well.

It was worth it, ultimately.  I am very, very happy with how the necklace turned out.

...The same three-butterfly cascade as the one
on the hairpin.

Close-up of the toggle clasp...
Since the clasp is, you know, the focal piece.

All in all, I made 4 pieces.

Here they are, all  together:

...For not having a lot of yellow in my stash, I certainly used a lot of yellow.
Oh, and click on the picture for a bigger view.

Not bad for a day's work!

I tried to post pictures of the finished pieces here last night, but it ended up not working...  I was able to text them to my mum, though--and that was happy.

So, happy birthday mommy!  

You are an awesome person, and you inspire beautiful things!

---
I really enjoyed working with these complementary colors...  I think I might have to challenge myself to make a few more in the future.  Something to consider!

2 comments:

  1. Ack! Yellow flower and butterflies! My inner child is having a tantrum. "Gimmie, gimmie. Gimmie now!" XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh... Well, I'm sure something can be arranged. ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)