Friday, March 26, 2021

Wonder and Whimsy Monthly Challenge - March 2021 Reveal

I'm so excited... it's time to reveal what I made for this month's challenge! Yay!

I have actually been ready for this reveal for a couple of days now. It's always fun when you can be done ahead of time. :)

So! As a refresher, my challenge this month was to make asymmetrical jewelry.

Not my photo!
Photo by Evelyn Bertrand on Unsplash

As anticipated, this was definitely a challenge for me--and I didn't even really scratch the surface of possibilities. I did make several pieces, but there is so much more I could have done. I will definitely still be playing around with this in the months to come!

But, enough talk. It's time to show you what I made!


Necklace #1

This first necklace was inspired by the above picture--specifically, the cascade of leaves across a silvery wood background:


...I think the inspiration is pretty evident! 

It was made using aventurine, glass, and silvertone metal. And, on a fun note, the strand of beads can be worn on either the right or left side--depending on the wearer's mood.




Necklace #2

This second necklace was made using an asymmetrical Swarovski pendant with three Preciosa crystals:



I kept the design minimal, to really let the pendant shine. And, trust me, it really does shine. I don't think the pictures quite do it justice... as with most Swarovski crystals, it's practically luminous. 

And, I must admit, it was pretty fun making something so delicate. I make so many statement pieces that sometimes I forget that less can be more. 


Necklace #3

This third necklace is a bit of a cheat... I included it because it's actually the earrings that are mildly asymmetrical. I just happened to make the necklace to match. Materials include silvertone metal and metallic agate druzy beads in silver and gold.



Necklace #4

And now it's time for the grand finale!

I am so ridiculously pleased with this necklace... and I think you might be able to see why:


I actually made up a seed bead pattern! Well, mostly. It's more like I combined two patterns, and then made up the rest. I knew exactly what I wanted to make, and since I couldn't find a tutorial that matched what I wanted, I figured it out. And it actually turned out just like I pictured in my head! Yay!

I should also add that when I decided to do an asymmetrical challenge, this was the first design that I thought of. I wanted to make a peacock feather. 

So, I made a peacock feather.



I will probably post process pictures at some point... I took pictures during the process, to remind me how I did it. Until then, though, I hope you enjoy these pictures of the finished product! :)


Bonus! Earrings

...And, last but not least, I made a pair of earrings. They were a bit of an afterthought, but I figured I should include them all the same.


So, ta-daaaaa! That is what I made for this challenge. 

As I said before, I know that I really did only just barely scratch the surface of what is possible. There are so many ways to introduce asymmetry into designs, and I only explored a few. Still, it was a good start... and it definitely helped me start thinking outside my normal default designs. I think that should be considered a success! And I'm interested in exploring it more. :)

Thank you so much for stopping by today. I really enjoyed sharing my creations with you. Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. These are fabulous. Obviously, that peacock feather necklace is the STAR of the show. It's amazing. I'm in awe that you came up with this gorgeous pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)