Friday, May 27, 2016

The Jenny Monthly Challenge - May Reveal

It's Friday the 27th!

That means it's the last day of that busy time I have dubbed Reveal Week. (Seriously, the last week of the month always seems to be the week of show-and-tell. Not complaining! Just amused.)

That also means that I get to show off what I made for my Jenny Monthly Challenge! Yay!

As a reminder, this is what my friend picked out for me to work with this month:

Glass chili peppers!

...And, as an extra layer of challenge, I decided not to make a necklace with a tassel. You know, just to remind myself that I can. ;)

I started off the challenge by accumulating matching beads, whether by rummaging through my stash or by purchasing them on super sale because they matched perfectly (I'm looking at you, Czech picasso rondelles):

From top to bottom: two shapes of dyed coral, Czech picasso rondelles,
and of course the chilis.

And, with those materials, here is what I made!


...It's a chili spike necklace! 

And matching earrings, of course. (Because it's me, and that's what I do.)


Construction-wise, the necklace is pretty straightforward... It is strung on some beading wire, with your standard crimp beads holding everything in place. The earrings are also pretty simple... I twisted some 24 gauge silver-tone wire to hold everything in place.




Simplicity aside, I'm actually in love with this set--although I can't quite put my finger on why. It's just... happy. It straddles the line of classy and quirky. It's made with some expensive materials (those aforementioned rondelles were not cheap), and the spikes could very well be some fancy cut stones.

...But they're not. They're chilis.

And that makes me smile.
 

And so, there you go. That's what I made for my May Monthly Challenge.

And, I have a confession... I have an idea for a tassel necklace to make, too. I was actually going to make that as well for this reveal, but I haven't found the perfect focal for it yet. Oh, and I'll need to procure another strand of chilis. And more rondelles. I know--darn! More beading shopping! :)

Thank you so much for joining me for this Reveal Week! It's always fun to share what I've been up to--whether it be Bohemian-inspired necklaces (Pretty Palettes), owl-themed (SJ Designs Jewelry Honey Do Challenge), or now--a spicy chili set. Fun times!

Have a lovely day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)