Friday, January 27, 2012

My Craft Room: A Progression

Alternate Title:  Why I Haven't Been Posting Here Much This Month


So, I have posted once or twice (and probably more than that) about getting new furniture.  


This is not something that I'm doing casually.  In fact, this is one of the biggest projects that I've tackled in quite awhile--and one that I have been really excited to do.  I have been wanting to turn our new apartment into a beautiful and cozy home.  And so, I have been measuring, and remeasuring--trying to make best use of space.  I have been assembling furniture, and rearranging, and even decorating a little bit.  (Our bathroom now looks lovely!)


And I have been enjoying myself immensely.


Hands down, the largest piece that we have acquired is our brand new sofa:


Woooo!  It's a sofa!  And it's new!  And it's ours!  Hurray for Ikea!


However, the living room is not the only room undergoing a massive overhaul.  Also up for consideration is my craft room.


My poor craft room.


I haven't been doing a lot of creating recently, just because I didn't have the space to do it.  And when I say that I didn't have the space, what I really mean is that everything was a mess and in dire need of organization.


Did you think that I was kidding?
This is what it looked like when we first got back from
Christmasing with my parents...  Yikes!

The first step, obviously, was to straighten everything.  So, I tackled it--and instead of piles all over the floor, it looked like this:

That little desk is where all of my creating takes place.
Not a lot of room, if you ask me!

And here we see: my bead inventory, two hand-me-down chairs, packaging
supplies, and my brand new vacuum.  Oh, and one of many piles of books.
I own a lot of books.

The space did not stay empty for long, though.  Enter the shipment from Ikea, and the clean space was invaded by cardboard: 

What has it got in its boxses?

The next step, obviously, was taking those boxes and assembling their contents.  


This is the step that I'm still working on.


Look!  It's a new table!  ...Except upside down.

Of all the furniture that was ordered, only the craft table has been assembled.  And promptly covered with my bead supplies, so that I can move the current bookcase into the hall--to make room for the new bookcases.  And my new comfy chair.  And an actual desk.  Oh, this is so exciting!

This table was clear for about five minutes.
...And then I covered it completely with beads.

Ultimately, the long and short of it boils down to this:


Am I done?  Not hardly.  Am I enjoying myself?  Of course!


Overall, it will probably take a little longer for me to get everything in order...  Until then, my productivity will be limited.  It is hard, after all, to work at a table covered with beads.  But once everything is assembled, and all is put away neatly, it will be beautiful.  


Yes, indeed, it will be worth it!


...So, that is what I have been doing with my January.  How about you?  Any large or wonderful projects that you've been tackling?

4 comments:

  1. Me? I've been helping my crazy friend assemble large pieces of furniture. ;) Your craft room is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee... Your crazy friend certainly appreciates it! :D

      Delete
  2. I think I your blog has more joy in it than any other one I've ever read!
    What a fabulous craft room you're making--with a comfy chair to just knit--what a beautiful thing!
    And since it blesses me so much to read your lists of happy things--I'm going to try it too. . .
    1--Dinosaurs on store shelves!
    2--"Smashing" pictures of my favorite people and places into a simple journal--making memories and incidentally art. (KNOW that you're in those pictures!)
    3--Finding a mostly-open pistachio in the bottom of the bag that's easy to eat
    4--Making a baked potato/Swiss cheese/mushroom omelet (thank you Rita--never forgot it!)
    5--Having a full tank of gas in the car
    6--Reading your blog! :)
    7--Living in a house with books--lots of them!
    8--Having a husband who sings "I love you" during the day
    9--Grocery store cashiers who know us
    10--Fingers that remember on their own how to knit or crochet

    ReplyDelete
  3. How delightful! Thank you, thank you, for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)