Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Things to Be Happy About...

I will admit it...  Recently, I have been feeling overwhelmed.  Not necessarily in a bad way, mind you.  I am just full.  I am overflowing with emotions and ideas and experiences--bittersweet juxtapositions of grief and delight, new possibilities birthed through change.  So many ideas.  So many options.  So many thoughts running through my head.


And so, I resume my list of happy things.  I hope that this will be a way to ground me, and help me regain my focus.  It is a new year, after all.  A new beginning.  There is so much amazement in this world--joy from sorrow, love even in grief.  I just need to always seek it--and acknowledge it, when I find it.


Layers of colors behind skeleton branches--beauty, even in dormancy.


My list: 
Things that Make Me Happy

  1. Buying new furniture...  For the first time in my life, I will own a brand new couch!  And a comfy chair to knit in, and a desk to bead at, and a craft table in front of the window, where I can look out at the trees...
  2. Having a wonderful time with family over Christmas.
  3. Coming back after said wonderful time, and reveling in the quiet sanctity of home.
  4. Making coffee every morning for my husband... It's one of those little moments--these routines of everyday--that are so simple, but so full of love.
  5. Enjoying breakfasts of coffee and English muffins.
  6. Taking afternoon walks, as I strive to be more healthy.
  7. Incorporating little things from my grandfather into my home (his spice jars to hold my hairsticks, his clock on the top of the bookshelf).
  8. Feeling the achievement of doing laundry, and smelling the wonderfully clean clothes.
  9. Writing haikus--even bad haikus--every night, trying to capture the feeling of the day.

10. Watching the sun set against a backdrop of trees.

11. Finding quirky things at the store--
like a Parasaurolophus guarding the Smuckers.
(I promise, I did not put it there--
I found it that way!) 

12. Decorating holiday packages with
"safety" holly--the type of holly that has
non-pointed leaves!
(Yes, I just made that up.  *grin*)

...And, last but not least:


        13.  Plotting a new sewing project--the first one in years!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)