Thursday, January 5, 2012

Beauty in Imperfection

Alternate Title: "And Now for Something Completely Different!"
---


Yesterday, I bought this pair of fingerless gloves.


A little funky, perhaps, but I think they are full of awesome!


Innocent enough.  They were on sale, after all--only a dollar.  And my hands are always cold...  It seemed a good idea to get something so that I can type (and make jewelry) without my hands getting too stiff to work.


...That's how it started.


As I continued to shop, I started to think: wouldn't it be nice to have to have a scarf to match?  And, as might be expected--I was, after all, in a craft store--this innocent thought led to the acquisition of a skein of yarn.  


A matching skein of yarn.  


Thus began my attempt to capture the true color of this yarn...
It's labeled as "Rhododendron" and is a beautiful purple-pinkish magenta.

It's a little more pink than it appears in this picture--
due to the lighting, I suppose.


(Hilarious side-note...  When I was at the store, trying to decide what yarn to pick, I was wearing the gloves.  I kept going up to the different yarn candidates, holding out my hand, asking my friend--"how does this look?"  The ensuing laughter definitely got us some interesting looks.  We even got a fellow shopper to help us look!)


Also while out shopping, I acquired a nice pair of knitting needles--since all of the ones that I own are currently in storage, and I needed some size 13 needles anyway.


Now, this is where I should tell you that I've always had an interesting relationship with knitting.


Still not quite the color of the yarn...  Imagine it a little darker...


Every other crafting endeavor I have pursued, I have wanted to be the best.  I am constantly driving myself to learn more, practice more, become the most skilled and perfect craftswoman I can be.  I innovate, study.  I have practiced bead-weaving, experimented with book-binding, taught myself how to sew french seams since I don't have a serger.


I want to be the best.


...Except when it comes to knitting.




I cannot purl to save my life.  I do the basic stitch with a beginner's level of proficiency.  I don't hold my hands in the correct way--to maintain tension, I wrap the yarn around my index finger, instead of doing it the recommended way.  I don't try to follow patterns (because I can't purl anyway).  I just cast on stitches, and make a long rectangular block until it reaches the length that I want.


And I'm okay with that.


FYI: this is not me demonstrating my technique.
This is me showing off how close the colors are between my gloves and the yarn.


I find knitting to be relaxing.  In all of my creative endeavors, it's one of the only ones that I can just do, and not have to worry about.  


I have given myself permission not to be perfect...  and it's wonderful.


So, after years of not knitting, I am finally doing it again.  It's amazing that my fingers still remember how...  I picked up the yarn and the needles, and I didn't even have to think about it.


This is how far I got knitting last night...
It's still not quite the real color, but very close...
It's going to look so nice with my purple coat!


Sometimes, I get so caught up in trying to make things perfect--make them the best--that I forget the simple beauty of creating something with my two hands.  


Making something that did not exist before I made it.


Every once and awhile, I need to let myself be imperfect.  That, in and of itself, can be a beautiful thing.


...And, to think that this all started with a pair of $1.00 gloves.


---
Disclaimer:
When I state that I am giving myself permission not to be perfect, I am--of course--referring to the items that I make for myself... to prototypes and experiments.  When it comes to items in my store, I will always make sure they are the best that I can make them.  I wouldn't feel comfortable charging money for them otherwise!


...It is pretty safe to say, then, that I'm not ever going to sell my knitting!  :D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)