Sunday, June 30, 2019

Wonder and Whimsy - June Reveal

For this month's challenge, I decided to make jewelry based on the ocean.


More specifically, the Atlantic Ocean... like I saw while vacationing with my family back in April. I realize that different oceans and different beaches do not all look the same--and that is why I decided to draw inspiration specifically from my time on the Mid-Atlantic coast.

As a reminder, these were the beads that I picked out for this project:


...And, without further ado, here is what I made!


Yep! I have finished two tassel necklaces in one month--woohoo!



For this necklace, I was really inspired by the deep, rich colors of the Atlantic Ocean... the dark dark blue of the water, the white foam of the surf, the grey where those two colors meet, and the tawny tans and browns of the sand. 

Those colors gave me my palette--and the transition between them gave me the design for the tassel itself. 



To tie it all together, I used a handmade lamp work bead that I have had in my stash for awhile. (Unfortunately, I do not know the artist who made it.) I love the way that it swirls with the same colors as the tassel--much like where the ocean meets the land.


I am exceedingly happy with how this necklace turned out. I know it is not traditionally beachy--no pastels or tropical colors--but it definitely captures what I remember seeing on my trip. It was a very special trip, and I am very pleased that this necklace does it credit.

And, although it isn't finished, here is the second project that I started, with a palette based on the glorious sunsets I saw while there...




...and that is as far as I got. As much as I really, really wanted to finish three tassel necklaces this month, it just wasn't in the cards. That's all right, though... I definitely look forward to finishing this one soon!

So, there you go! That's what I made for this month's challenge. I have been wanting to do this one since my trip, and I'm ecstatic that I finally got a chance to do it.

Thanks so much for stopping by today... Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)