Friday, March 29, 2019

Wonder and Whimsy Monthly Challenge - March Reveal

Guess what day it is! 

...If you guessed that today is the day for the Wonder and Whimsy Month Challenge reveal, you'd be right! :)

As a refresher, this month I decided to make jewelry using components I picked up at my local creative reuse center, Scrap It Up. (If you want to see pictures of everything I bought, go here.)


Now, it's been a super truncated challenge this month... my original plans didn't coalesce in time, so I had to fall back on this as a backup. Still, for a backup plan, it went quite well! In fact, I managed to make three projects. 

And, without any further ado, here they are!


Project #1

For this first project, I made a pair of earrings. I took these components (a combination of stone rounds, glass drops, and still-in-the-package filigree):


...and turned them into these:


...A rather straightforward transformation, I realize, but a nice one. And a nice way to start off this challenge.


Project #2

For the second project, I decided to play around with the bag of scrap chain. I didn't get a good picture of it, but I'm sure you can imagine what it looked like--a baggie filled with different lengths of various styles of chains.

I decided to take those chains and mix them with some vintage acrylic pearls I picked up (the white ones were still in the package, with a date of 1970!), and this is what I made:


...Yep! A tassel!


All of the chain pieces that were long enough, I cut to uniform length and put in the tassel. The other pieces--and the leftover bits that I had cut off--were then joined together using wire-wrapped links made with the acrylic pearls.



The result? A super long, lightweight tassel necklace that can be worn either as a double or single strand. It's a bit of a hodgepodge, and I kind of love it.


Project #3

I mentioned that Scrap It Up also carries scrapbook paper. For this last project, I decided to utilize some of it. 

Here are the project components that I pulled together from my haul, complete with one of those papers cut into strips for paper beads: 


...And, because this picture turned out super nicely, here is everything--this time with the paper beads rolled.


Using those components--a ceramic focal, glass and acrylic rounds--here is what I made:


Surprise! It's another tassel. :)


Almost everything in this necklace is from Scrap It Up. In fact, only the wire and the bead caps are not... the paper, the beads, even the clasp, are all from my latest haul. Not bad at all--especially considering that they were "leftovers"!


And, for fun, I made these matching earrings:


And so, there you go! Those are all of the pieces that I made for this month's challenge. It was fun taking all of these components--things that someone else no longer wanted--and making pretty things with them.

Thanks so much for stopping by today to see what I've been up to--and for being so wonderfully supportive, even for this shortened challenge.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Great job with the "leftovers"! I love that you were able to take some of these old bits and bobs and create several new and modern design.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)