Thursday, November 15, 2012

Miracles Do Happen

So, what else have I been working on, besides NaNo?  Heh.  I'm so, so glad you asked.

For starters: a miracle has happened.  
Yes, this miracle involves knitting.
What gave you that idea?  :)
 

After years of knitting... I finally know how to purl.

Seriously, this is a major breakthrough for me.  For some reason, I have had a mental block when it comes to purling--I couldn't figure it out.

And then, a few weeks ago, something clicked.

It had been an awful day.  I had been working on hairsticks, and I had almost been driven to tears by misbehaving beads.  I kept dropping things and messing things up.  I even forgot to put dinner in the crockpot.

But!

I randomly sat down with a skein of yarn and a pair of knitting needles, and something made sense.  There is no other way to explain it--I suddenly understood what needed to happen.  And, as a result, I learned how to purl.

See!

Do you know what that is?  That is stockinette stitch. 
...You have to purl in order to make
stockinette stitch.

My random experiment became a random wrist cuff.
Because, honestly, why not?

…And then, later, I picked up the same yarn…  And found out that it wasn't a fluke.

This is rib knit!
Rib knit that I, well, knit!

This is a swatch made out of seed stitch...  Again, something that can
only be done when you know how to purl.

So...  After all these years, I finally know how to purl.  

Wooo!

----


This is not the first time that something like this has happened to me.  I will be struggling with a concept--struggling to see how it works--when, randomly out of the blue I will figure it out when I'm not even thinking about it.  

For example, this is how I learned how to braid…  I was in elementary school, and I had been struggling with the concept.  Then, one night, I randomly dreamt that I was doing it.  When I woke up, I not only remembered the dream but also understood what I had done…  I sat down with one of my dolls, and was able to replicate what I saw in the dream.  

Apparently, my brain is still dealing with problems--even when I don't realize it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)