Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tuesday's Table

With the furnishing of my craft room, I have found that I can have multiple projects going on at once.  So, what does my table look like today?


In the Land of Beads...


Since I tend to ping-pong between inspirations, recently I have really been trying to focus on two main themes at a time.  


Currently, one of those themes is flower hairsticks.

Lovely roses!  Look familiar?  That's because similar roses are already
featured on my Etsy store--entitled "the Language of Color."


My second focus is Steampunk-themed jewelry.  


More specifically: Steampunk jewelry without gears.  While I'm sure that I will make some items with gears, too, I have challenged myself to create pieces that can fit into that genre without resorting to the popular practice of just adding gears and calling it Steampunk.  As of right now, the overall look that I'm going for is slightly Victorian--with a twist.


I enlisted the help of my mother to pick out some pieces that would fit
this description...  imagine my delight when she sent me a package,
with all of these pieces inside!!  :D 


Close up of some filigree--delicate, Victorian-looking,
and wonderfully Steampunk-y.

My first piece made in this style...  For a first try, I am very pleased!

Now, of course... there is some overlap between these two themes...

Steampunk rose!

...And even more Steampunk roses!


And, because I can't quite contain myself, there is even a little deviation...


Working on a custom pair of earrings--
fun with Swarovski crystals!

Close up of the crystals...  these are 4mm bicones in the color Siam.


Apparently, I like to keep myself very busy!




In the Land of Yarn...


Anyone who has been reading my blog recently knows that I have been dividing my creative energy between beads and knitting.  When it comes to knitting, mostly I've been working on my blanket.  To be expected, it is taking a lot of time to knit this thing.  After all, it is 8 feet long--and will probably be just as wide!


Believe it or not, I don't always match what I'm
knitting...  Just most of the time.


Sadly enough, I still haven't started the lovely bright orange scarf that I have planned...


This yarn matches my nails!
Orange apparently is my current favorite color.
Well, besides purple.  I think I will always love purple.


And, lastly, I am trying to teach myself to crochet... which is actually a lot more frustrating than I had anticipated.  (Just ask my husband--I actually had to put it down and walk away, for the sake of my sanity.)


This light blue yarn is my "training" yarn...
I used it years ago to learn how to knit, and
by golly, I'll use it to learn how to crochet!


Hopefully, by the time I finish my blanket, I have learned enough to make a nice trim to go around it.  ...Or, at least, enough to try!  If crocheting turns out to be a bust, at least I can always go back to enjoying one of my many other crafts!




---


Wow, I am keeping myself busy!  


What about you?  Are you working on anything wonderful and crafty today?

2 comments:

  1. Those steampunk roses really are beautiful.

    I've been working on that darn sock loom. It has earned it's darn name. I finally worked myself up to knit the heel of the sock I started on vacation only to realize I did indeed have WAY too much tension. I could not go on. I had to take it off the loom and unravel it. But! I am trying again with orange. I couldn't stand to stare at that grey anymore. We'll see how this time goes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! ...And orange socks sound awesome!

      That tension problem sounds like my current problem with crochet. I'm hoping to try with a larger crochet hook--that might help. We shall see!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)