Friday, March 9, 2018

Friday's Worktable

If you follow my Instagram account at all, there's a really good chance you know what I've been working on this week.

If you don't follow me... Well, here's a hint:


That's right! 

I've been doing my annual turn-my-Valentine's-Day-roses-into-beads project! Woo!

I don't really make rose beads often enough to have a flawless procedure, and I know I've made some mistakes due to being sick (ugh, have I mentioned that I hate being sick?), but I've still been enjoying myself immensely.

Here's how the process has been going so far....

Step 1: Cut, or tear, rose petals into pieces.


Step 2: Soak in hot water for several hours... I started with boiling water and just put a lid on it.

Step 3: Once pieces have been soaked, drain them and put them in a food processor.

Step 4: Pulse the food processor until the pieces are as small as you can make them.
Some people can get this mush into a creamy paste... I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Step 5: Form into beads.
Step 6: Let dry a bit, and then poke the holes. (They shrink, so I used the paintbrush handle.)

Step 7: Let dry

Step 8: Let dry some more.

Step 9: Yep, still drying.

After several days of drying, here is what the beads look like now...


That's the same paper from the beginning... You can see how much they've shrunk!

This weekend, once I'm sure they're completely dry, I'll probably coat them with some sort of glaze. They are currently strong but scratchy, so I figure that a coating will make them smoother to the skin when worn. And then I get to decide what cool jewelry to make with them! (This particular round is rather special... They mark the day that, 15 years ago, my husband asked me out. Yep, I'm a sappy romantic sometimes.)

So, there you go... That's what I've been working on this week, between rounds of antibiotics and sleeping. Thanks so much for stopping in to check in on my antics!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. First of all I want to say great blog! I had a quick question which I'd like
    to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to know how you center
    yourself and clear your mind before writing. I have
    had a difficult time clearing my mind in getting my ideas
    out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just
    seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted just trying to figure out
    how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the right site for everyone who wishes to find out about this topic.
    You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not that I really would
    want to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new
    spin on a subject that has been discussed for many years.
    Great stuff, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)