Thursday, July 27, 2017

Art Bead Scene - July Reveal

In addition to all of the challenges I do on a regular basis, I decided to try something new this month. You see, I follow the Art Bead Scene blog and have been wanting to participate in their monthly challenge for awhile now. Only, it's never really worked out.

...Until this month, that is. 

When I looked at this month's inspiration--a painting by Henri Rousseau--I knew exactly what I wanted to make.



For information on this painting and the painter, please check out the this post over on the Art Bead Scene blog... they do a wonderful job introducing both.

For my interpretation, I knew that I wanted to make something using this bead by lampwork artist Carol Christensen-Day (GlassyFields):

Not my picture!
Taken by the artist, seen on the Etsy listing.

The bead has so much swirling and internal movement, that it made me think of the storm depicted in the painting. And, what better way to emphasize that movement than by making a necklace that would also move and sway.

Yep. In other words, I made a tassel necklace.

Here it is in the planning stages, as I sought to capture the colors from the painting in just the right ratio:



And here is the finished necklace!



I paired Carol's lovely bead with: crystals, glass, peridot, dark green aventurine, and orange crackle agate. Everything is wrapped with bright copper wire, with a few dark copper findings as accents. 

Oh, and I choose the glass leaves (and the copper leaf bead caps) as a nod to the source material... the tiger is in a jungle, after all.




All in all, I'm extremely pleased with how this necklace turned out. It does indeed have a lot of movement, much like Rousseau's painting, and the bright color palette makes it feel very, well, jungle-y. :)


Thank you so much for stopping by today to see what I made for this challenge... I greatly enjoyed myself, and hope that I get a chance to play along again!

Have a wonderful Thursday, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. It does have wonderful movement, and the colors are so great. Excellent entry into the Art Bead Scene challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously wow. The necklace is super playful and captures the jumping movement of the tiger well

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so stinkin' beautiful! Wonderfully designed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)