Friday, April 27, 2012

Mucking in the Mud...


So, you might be wondering...  why was I mucking around in the mud?

Well, let me tell you a story.


Look, mud!  Mud to be mucked in!

I love how, on overcast days,
green seems so much  more vibrant.
 

When I was growing up, my Dad used to tell me stories about how, when he was a boy, he would go to a local park--and spend hours there.  

What was he doing?  

He was hunting for fossils.  

Those banks are prime fossil territory.

Eventually, he grew up and moved out of state--leaving that park behind.  He kept his love for fossils, though, and continued to collect them through the years...  And, as I grew up, he continued to tell me and my sister stories about that little park.


Now, forward ahead many, many years...  After college, I fell in love, and moved from my home state to be with my now-husband.

...And, when I moved, I ended up close to Daddy's park.

Yes, indeed, this is Daddy's park.  :D

So, back to the question: why was I mucking around in the mud?  

I was at that very same park, hunting for fossils.

If you look closely, you can see some--just lying there!

I went with one of my friends, and we were there for several hours.  We got wet and dirty, and had a lovely time.  The day was perfect for it, too: overcast, not-too-cold and not-too-warm.

At times, we even just sat and enjoyed the scenery...  It felt timeless, really.  It was lovely to be away from the computer, away from indoor lighting, and just sit in the mud.
  


  

Yep, that's my foot...  Taken when I decided to sit
down and rest a bit.

So, did I find fossils?  Yes.


Did I feel a wonderful connection to my past?  Yes.


...And not just because I was collecting fossils.  It was just wonderful to know that I was, literally, walking in my father's footsteps.


---


What am I going to do with the fossils, you might be wondering...  Well, as you might expect, I'm going to do something crafty with them!  :D


Fossil-hunting isn't the only thing that I picked up from my parents...  My mother taught me to sew and knit and make paper crafts, my dad taught me about languages and a love for learning, and they both taught me about the wonders of books.


Do you have any hobbies or interests that your parents shared with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)