Monday, July 23, 2018

Reveal - SJ Designs Jewelry Honey Do List July Design Challenge!

Every month, Sarajo Wentling over at SJ Designs Jewelry hosts the Honey Do List Challenge... It's where her husband, Eric, issues her a beading challenge with the intent that she both use up some of her bead stash and get out of her comfort zone. Luckily for me, they let other people play along to!

This month, the theme is crows!


I really do like crows. They are extremely intelligent and playful--and did I mention intelligent? (The crows in New Caledonia are even known to craft and use specific tools, on the same level as some primates. Now you know!)

Here is what Eric says about the above photo: 
I've wanted to get a decent crow picture for ages but they have eluded me. Over our recent trip to Portland (and their plethora of loud crows) I finally had a chance!  The closer of these crows was pretty mad about my presence and kept cawing at me while I took this series of shots.  It ended up dive-bombing a random pedestrian and my friend Ron shortly after this!

Now, I am feeling a bit of a time crunch this month--so much to do, but not a lot of time to do it--so I was only able to make one pair of earrings to go with the photo. Still, they gave me an excuse to use some of my new Czech glass feathers, so I call it a win!

Here are the earrings in question:


In addition to using the Czech glass feathers, I added wooden discs, black glass rounds, and brassy/bronzy metal. In the composition, I tried to capture the look of the bird tails hanging below the branches--with the gold details of the feathers echoing the shimmery shine of the crow feathers. Not too bad for being in a rush! :)


Thanks so much for stopping by today to see what I made for this challenge--and thank you to Sarajo and Eric for letting me play along! :)

Have a lovely day, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. What fun earrings you made! You had some great beads for this... I don't think I've ever seen those feather beads before. I totally understand about the time crunch... I appreciate you making the time to play along with us! Due to some travel we'll be taking a break in August, but check back September 1st to see what Eric dreams up next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those feather beads are SO COOL! They work perfectly for this challenge. I really like how you echo the feel of the birds in the picture by using the wood slice bead to represent the tree. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)