Friday, June 29, 2012

Breaking the Shackles of Time...


One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person - perhaps someone dead for thousands of years.  Across the millennia, the author is speaking, clearly and silently, inside your head, directly to you.  


Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew one another.  Books break the shackles of time.

~Carl Sagan





I came upon this quote while doing research for one of my stories.  As a bibliophile, its truth struck me...  and, as a writer, it makes me wonder if my words, too, will be able to reach through time and touch the future.  Time will be the tell.


Also, trying to take these pictures ended up being pivotal to my day.  In other words, I accidentally started to read one of them, and didn't realize what had happened until page 100.  Ah well--it was worth it!  (And, yes, I did go on to finish it.)

---


Have you read any good books recently?


...And, have you ever started to read a book by accident?  You're going along your day, and suddenly find yourself reading?  I can't be the only one!  :D

4 comments:

  1. It's a lovely day that is hijacked by a book--taking you someplace you didn't intend to go, but you're glad you did. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hijacked by many books these past few weeks! My head is practically swimming with stories!

      Delete
  2. Love the snakeskin hairsticks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)