Friday, December 16, 2011

The Beauty of Creation

This week has been a week of creating.  


Serious creating--not simply dabbling with thoughts, bandying about possibilities.  Indeed,  I sat down for hours to get everything just right; I worked until my fingers throbbed and ached.  This is the sort of creating that requires an absurd amount of focus, where everything else fades into the background.


All that matters is the idea, and making that idea become tangible and real.  


Honestly, it was rather incredible...  Going into my own world, bringing order to chaos.  It is always rather humbling when this happens...  And, though my fingers still hurt, I feel triumphant.


For, in this state, I turned this:


Unsorted 6/0 seed bead mix


Into this:


Collar Necklace,
inspired by ancient Egyptian designs and
the colors of lapis lazuli





...and this:


Jumbled pile of gears


Into this:

Collar Necklace,
inspired by the combination of Egyptian style
and the steampunk aesthetic




The first design took 2 hours to make--not including the time it took to sort the beads.  Don't believe that I sorted them?  Just look at this:


Booyah!


The second necklace, the gear necklace, took at least four hours to finish.  Indeed, I started it at 10:00 AM, and was still working on it at 2:30 PM.  It involved an hour of attaching gears to almost 200 tiny jump rings...  and another hour of wire-wrapping...  and yet another hour of adjusting the design, when it didn't lay flat.


Worth it?  


Totally.


I look forward to making more in this style, when my fingers stop hurting!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)