Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Adventures in Packing: Week One

Last week began the packing marathon.


In good news, most everything was already packed.


In bad news, most everything was already packed--in my in-laws' basement, in boxes that were falling apart, and schlucked together, and too heavy, and in desperate need of some TLC.


So, last week I ventured into the basement to tackle those boxes.  I did not go alone--my friend Lisa went with me, ready to assist in all things packing-related.  My goal was to repack those boxes that needed to be repacked (due to weight or box disrepair), and organize them according to room.


Look at the sight that greeted us:

This was one of many, many stacks.
And, yes, that is a stuffed stegosaurus on the coffee table.
And iced coffee in the foreground.

Now, I should tell you that packing, for me, goes in stages:

  1. Try to be organized, keep things together, and use the right size box for everything.
  2. Start to get a little more haphazard, but have "themed" boxes.
  3. Schluck unrelated random things into a box, label it "miscellaneous".
  4. Schluck unrelated random things into a box, forget to label it and draw a narwhal instead.

While we made good progress--finishing repacking/sorting almost all of the boxes--by the end of last week, Lisa and I hovered somewhere between stages 3 and 4.  


Case in point:

Remember that aforementioned stegosaurus?
He's in this box.

So, I own a lot of books.  After packing one too many boxes of them,
this was the look on my face.

I love reading books--holding them in my hand, feeling the paper.
Yet, I have to admit, a Kindle is looking more and more appealing.

I should also mention that I have a LOT of journals...

...Which I point out on this box.  Lisa, with the purple sharpie,
apparently agrees with my assessment.

So, that was last week.  Most everything in my in-laws' basement has been readied for departure.  I am very pleased with our progress.  

This week, I'm focusing on everything upstairs.  That includes our bedroom, the bathroom... and my beads.  I think, once I pack my beads, this move will feel official.  

Or maybe everything will just happen in a blur--like all of my other moves--and it won't really sink in until November.  

Either way, I am just so blessed that it's actually happening!  Now, if only I can retain my sanity!

---

P.S.  Sorry for the darker pictures...  obviously, they were taken in the basement!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)