Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tribute to Labyrinth

I first saw the movie Labyrinth when I was in middle school.  I immediately loved it--the quirky characters, the other-worldly design, the fantastical venues (i.e. the labyrinth itself, and the ending tribute to the work of M.C. Escher).  In a time before so many computer graphics, the movie made the impossible seem real in a way that I had never seen before.  


I was fascinated.


Like many other girls my age, one of my favorite scenes from the movie was the Masquerade Ball--if for no other reason than I loved Sarah's dress!  I had always wanted to be a beautiful princess... seeing that scene definitely made it seem like I could be.


With that in mind, forward ahead a couple decades...  The other day, my friend and I were at the store.  She took a look at one particular necklace, and said, "Hmmm.  These beads remind me of Labyrinth."  Sure enough, they did--they looked like the glass spheres that Jareth so often shifts in his hand.  It should come as no surprise, then, that I bought the necklace for the sole purpose of, well, re-purposing it.  (Especially since the original necklace was extremely gaudy, and seemed to be rather ill-made in the first place.  It appears that making jewelry has made me a bit of a snob when it comes to jewelry construction.)


And, so, I brought the beads home.  Within a day, I created some of the most beautiful pieces that I can remember making in a long time.  They are now posted on my Etsy store.


I present: the Labyrinth Masquerade.


Labyrinth Masquerade - OOAK Gold Earrings


Labyrinth Masquerade - OOAK Gold Necklace


Labyrinth Masquerade - OOAK Silver Earrings

I am particularly enamored with the necklace.  It took me quite awhile to get it just right...  I took some time finding the right chain (I settled on a vintage one that I bought on my honeymoon while at an antique store).  I took some time coming up with the right pattern (there are iridescent beads alternating with clear ones).  I took some time finding the right spacers to go between the beads.  It truly is beautiful--something that I think that Sarah would have worn at the Masquerade ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)