Friday, January 25, 2013

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone...

So, I just did an exciting and scary thing.

There is a particular life-and-jewelry-making blog called Pretty Things that I have been following for years, written by the incredibly talented Lori Anderson.

Now, every year, she coordinates an massive blog hop called Bead Soup.  And by massive, we're talking an international event with hundreds of participants.  (I think the last one had 400 participants?)

...and I just signed up.

*deep breath*

Yeah, I just signed up.

Here is where I post pictures of fancy, impressive
things I've made recently... mostly to convince
myself that I'm talented, and haven't done
something incredibly silly.
This necklace was made in garnet and pewter.

More about Bead Soup

You can read all about it here, but here's a summary:

Lori takes in all of the names, and pairs up partners.  These partners then exchange packages of beads.  Each bead package must include a clasp, a focal bead, and some matching accessory beads.  Jewelry pieces are created using these components--and then on the grand reveal day, everyone posts what they made.

The whole idea is...  well, to have fun, really--but also to push yourself as a designer by using things that you might not usually use.

Three-strand necklace made in copper and
seed beads and red jasper...
That circular focal was actually an earring
that I found and thought was fascinating.

...I have to admit, I'm nervous.  All of the bloggers that I've seen are really good at what they do, creating jewelry that are true works of art.  Not only that, but I like the coziness of my craft room... becoming a part of a such a large group of people is rather daunting (even if it is something that I really want to do).
 
My "Bedtime Story" Necklace...
Wire-wrapping galore!

But, I'm being brave and getting over my insecurities and joining the Big Kids.  I can do this... and I can do it well.

Another shot of the "Bedtime Story" necklace...
I am extremely proud of it, not gonna lie.

...So, here's to creating beautiful things!

And here's to stepping out of my comfort zone, and knowing that it will be worth it.

---

And, if you're interested in my Christmas Present series--don't worry!  There are at least four more entries that I need to write!

Once I calm down, that is.  ;)

4 comments:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)