Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wednesday's Worktable, Valentine's Day Edition

I have gotten so little done this month, bead-wise, that it's rather maddening. So many ideas, so little time! 

Still, I have at least made a few things this week--and I've learned a new skill to boot!

One of the things I made was a necklace for Valentine's Day... and it involved these:


Seed beads! 

...Blue seed beads!

Now, I realize that those don't look particularly Valentine-y. Hopefully the next picture will help clear that up.


Yep, there's a heart.

Now, I don't usually go for hearts in my designs. I don't have anything against them, they just don't often jump out at me. This one, though, intrigued me because of its color--it's magnesite dyed the color of lapis. 

I was so entranced, in fact, that I thought it would be the perfect focal to go along with a new thing I've been learning to make:


Seed bead tassels.

...After all, if there is a way to make tassels, chances are I'm going to try to learn it. ;)

Granted, this isn't the first of the tassels I've made this month... I also made two smaller ones in the same colorway to serve as matching earrings. (I may post pictures of them, too, at some point.) Still, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out--and the process definitely has gotten a bit smoother.

So, that covers the focal part of the necklace. Here is the rest of it:


I kept the design simple--just a pattern of the same seed beads, strung on waxed linen. It's long enough to not need a clasp, and has a nice amount of sway when worn.


Now, I'm going to be honest and say that part of me isn't entirely satisfied with the final product (maybe it's not complicated enough? heh), but I'm still pleased considering this is my first time trying a design like this. That's part of the process, after all--experimenting and learning, and pushing the boundaries of what I can do.

...And so, there you go. That is what has been on my beadtable this week: seed bead tassels, a blue heart, and trying new things. We'll see what I get up to next week. ;)

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)