Monday, December 19, 2016

Reveal - SJ Designs Jewelry Honey Do List December Design Challenge!

Guess what today is! That's right... it's the reveal day for December's Honey Do List challenge, hosted by Sarajo Wentling over at SJ Designs Jewelry. Every month, her husband gives her a design challenge--and they let the rest of us play along!

This month, the photo is a festive mix of red and black:


And this is what Eric Wentling has to say about it:

This month's challenge shot comes from a really cool special light exhibit by Bruce Munro at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.  I happily toted my tripod around and took hundreds of pictures while poor Sj tried to stay warm.  This particular photo was a long exposure where I slowly moved the camera to give the impression of motion.  I think the colors and sparkle in this shot will lead to some cool jewelry inspiration!

Now, I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to make for this challenge... I really wanted to echo the lines--and the motion implied by said lines--but I was unsure how. 

Eventually, however, I pulled out some glass and some dyed imitation turquoise, played around, and came up with this:


Fringe!

...Because what better way to hint at motion than by making a necklace with cascading fringe! Or something. ;)


Goofiness aside, I am actually very happy with the way this turned out. This was actually one of my first attempts making a fringed necklace (I usually do tassels), and the entire time I was making it, I was unsure how it would look in the end. I'm glad I stuck with it! I just wish I could have someone model it for me--it looks fantastic when worn. 

...I was so inspired, in fact, that I made some matching earrings:


The entire necklace (and matching earring pair) is knotted on waxed linen, spaced randomly in an attempt to echo the lines in the picture. The necklace sits on the collar bone, with the fringe tapering down to a V.


...Not my usual style, I admit, but definitely still cool! I might even need to try this design in a few other colors, too. :)


So, there you go! That's what I made for this challenge. Thank you, Sarajo and Eric, for letting me play along!

...And thank you for stopping by! I truly appreciate it, and hope you have a wonderful evening! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I really love what you came up with for this challenge! The colors are spot on and the fringe really captures the movement of the photo. And of course, being an earring addict, I appreciate the fun matching earrings too! Thanks for playing along with us and getting outside your comfort zone. Check back in the new year for the next Honey Do List challenge... until then, Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)