Monday, December 11, 2017

Wonder and Whimsy Monthly Challenge - December Edition

It's December! One of my favorite months of the year!

...Although, to be fair, that's heavily influenced by both Christmas and my birthday. Hee. :)

As I was thinking about what I wanted to do for my Monthly Challenge this month, I kept thinking about some of my favorite December traditions. Yes, it's a month where the days get darker and darker... but it's also the time when lights seem to shine brighter, and warmth inside is all the more cozy because of the cold outside, and the air itself almost feels magical.

Now, one of my favorite Christmas traditions is watching The Nutcracker on Christmas Eve... I grew up with the Baryshnikov version, and even though the video quality has definitely aged, I still find it lovely. To me, the ballet--the music, the costumes, the sets, the movement--captures all the magic and dream-like possibility of the season... A beautiful sparkling spectacle, even as the nights grow longer. 

(Disclaimer: all below photos are from George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, preformed by the New York City Ballet. It's a pretty iconic production, so I thought it only fitting to use their lovely pictures. All photos are by Paul Kolnick. No copyright infringement intended.)

Not my photo! Picture by Paul Kolnick.

Not my photo! Picture by Paul Kolnick.

Not my photo! Picture by Paul Kolnick.

Not my photo! Picture by Paul Kolnick.

Not my photo! Picture by Paul Kolnick.

Not my photo! Picture by Paul Kolnick.

And so, for the Wonder and Whimsy Monthly Challenge for December, I'm going to make jewelry based on the Nutcracker--either the ballet itself, or the original story that it's based on. My goal is to encapsulate that feeling of warmth and magic and light... and there will probably glitter. Hah!

Thanks so much for stopping by today to see what I'm up to... Come back on Friday, December 29th to see what I end up making for this challenge.

Until then, have a wonderful December, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)