Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Wednesday's Worktable

On my worktable this week: making jewelry out of leftover crab paper.


Okay, I realize that not everyone will know what crab paper is. Essentially, it's Kraft paper with pictures of crabs printed on it--ideal for a quick table spread for especially messy meals.

You know, like at a Maryland crab feast:


Let me back up a bit. While in Maryland last month, I had the amazing good fortune to stay with my best friend's family for a week... and at the end of the week, they bought two bushels of crabs and invited their entire family over. Lots of people, lots of crabs, lots of fun.

Now, considering this was on the Eastern Shore, they take their crab feasts very seriously. Thankfully, I didn't seem like too much of an outsider... there is a definite right way to pick crab meat, after all, and I didn't want to embarrass my friend too much. :)

  
After all was said and done (soooo many tasty crustaceans), we realized that we hadn't used up the entire roll of crab paper. My friend encouraged me to bring some home.

And that's why, on my worktable today, I'm making crab paper jewelry.


The big crab claw pendant is for my best friend (to say thank you for such a lovely time), and the little one is for me (to commemorate a lovely visit).

I'm not stopping at pendants, though. I'm also cutting the paper into strips and making paper beads:




I've tried a few different necklace ideas, but this is the current winner:


We'll have to see what I end up going with!

So, there you go... That's what I'm working on this week: commemorative happy jewelry. Thank you so much for stopping by today, and letting me share my creative endeavors with you. :)

Have a wonderful Wednesday, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! That's what I said out loud when I saw the 2nd photo! I lived in Maryland when I was a kid, and my parents had crab feasts every year. We didn't have fancy crab paper, though. We used newspaper. When you finished eating your crabs, your elbows were black!! Thanks for reminding me of these fun memories!
    Can't wait to see your finished crab necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember having crab feasts with newspaper! We didn't have them very often... we were much more likely to have crab cakes (my Dad makes amaaaaaazing crab cakes). It's been so long since I've even done that... it was a great deal of fun to sit down and actually pick some crabs, and I'm pretty happy that I even got some jewelry out of it, too. ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)