Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Wednesday's Worktable

My beading table has been pretty bare these last few months. I've been making things, but not nearly as many as I usually do.

...Which is okay. 

Instead of beading, I have been getting back into the rhythm of life. The last few months have been busy with travel--I have visited Baltimore and New York and Western Maryland. They have been full of organizing and paring down--I recently donated five bags to a local charity. 


And these months have been full of grieving. 

My mother-in-law passing has been very very hard, on my husband and on me. I find a lot of my creating is trying to tackle that loss. She and I both love Autumn... I keep finding myself drawn to Autumn designs, thinking of her. The above beads, for example. Eventually, I made two necklaces with them... One to give to my best friend, and one to sell. 

I don't think I can keep one for me. Not right now.


...And, I realize that I never showed these. These are the memorial keychains that I made for my husband and his brothers using the funeral flower beads that I made:


And here is the necklace that I made for their sister:


Patty was an amazing musician, so it seemed so fitting to use guitar-pick shapes for these pieces. They just feel like her.

I don't know what it says about me--when I am grieving, I make things for other people. I give gifts and delight in using my talents to bring them beauty. I guess it's just part of who I am. Helping others in turn helps me. Their delight is a balm to my heart.

So, that is what I have been working on recently--taking steps to grieve and process feelings through creating. Hopefully my work will soon start taking a turn for the more cheerful... in the meantime, thank you for being there while I heal.

Have a lovely day, everyone. And for you in places with the four seasons--may you all have a beautiful Autumn.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear how much you are still suffering. I know how much losing someone can impact you. I'm sure your family appreciates the remembrance gifts you created. Wishing you solace as you continue to heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. It has been a rough year--with my best friend losing their father, my husband losing his mother, and my own father having some health concerns (part of my September visit was him and I sitting down and talking about his Will). I'll be okay... it's just a lot to process and handle. Grief is a weird thing. Ah well... thank you for listening and caring. I really appreciate it. <3

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)