Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Good Idea

Earlier today, I had an idea.


Now, this is not surprising.  I actually have a notebook that I carry around with me, simply to write down ideas as I get them.  I write and sketch and doodle and tape things in it; it is a very well loved notebook.


So, why was this particular idea special?  Because it happened suddenly, like a revelation.  Because I had all of the components to complete it, even though I didn't think it would work out.  And because, well, it turned out to be a blessing.


This is how it happened...


Most of my jewelry is connected to the stories that I have in my head.  I am sure that this is not surprising, especially to those who have spent any time looking at this blog or my store.  Now, I know many other writers.  My mother-in-law is one of them... One that has greatly influenced me.  (It was through her stories that I actually met my husband--but that is a sappy story for another day.)


One of her stories is influenced by ancient Chinese culture.  (I won't go into any more detail--it is her story to tell, not mine.)  So, as I rummaged through some of my discarded projects, I found some Chinese coin charms.  It occurred to me that perhaps, instead of making a necklace to match my stories, I could make one to match hers.


I had that thought this morning.  It wasn't until 10:00 tonight that I actually sat down to work on it.  Honestly, I was half-convinced that it wasn't going to work.  I had less of the charms than I thought I did.  I kept having issues with jump rings.  I kept dropping things.  Everything I did, I thought looked ugly.


But, I persevered, and lo and behold, I was holding a necklace.  And I was surprised...  it was gorgeous:

Please pardon the rather washed-out photo...
When I took it, it was more for documentation and less for
photographic brilliance.

Detail of the coins and beads...  enlarge the picture,
and hopefully it will be more clear.

Another detail shot--you can see one of the matching
earrings that I made for it.  (The other one I had dropped,
and did not find for another ten minutes.)


Excited and rather stunned, I bustled to give it to her.  She was so excited, she went and tried it on immediately.  It was the perfect length, and laid just right.  Yay!


Looking through my supplies, I don't have the makings to make another one, just yet...  And honestly, if I do make another one I may change it slightly.  After all, this is her special necklace.  This is a piece of her story.  Hopefully, it will remind her that I think that her writing is worthwhile, even if she (like all writers) starts to doubt her merit.


It is a joy to give gifts, and to use my talents to make other smile.  Sometimes, it seems, I have good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)