Thursday, November 30, 2017

Wonder and Whimsy Monthly Challenge - November Reveal

Well, almost a week late, but here we go... it's time to reveal what I made for November's monthly challenge!

Since this month has been dedicated to writing (hurray for National Novel Writing Month... I literally squeaked in under the wire this year!), I decided to go with a writing-themed challenge for November. Namely, I wanted to make jewelry that was somehow connected to my stories.


Overall, I made three things for this challenge. I had more planned out, but life has a habit of being more complicated than anticipated. Ah well. Still, I'm very happy with what I made... And, without further ado, here they are!


A Gift of Garnet


This first bracelet is fairly simple--as was the scene that inspired it. Made of plump garnets and antiqued brass, it resembles the bracelet my main character is gifted while she's visiting the Noble Court (which is essentially the Capitol of the Land of Fairy Tales). 


In the Noble Court, there is a very complicated language of fashion--which extends to jewelry. The color, the metal, the person who buys it... it all has meaning. 

While this can lead to all sorts of subtle social intricacies, in the case of this bracelet, things are much more straightforward. It shows that the person who buys this for my main character considers her as a sister. 

...But I won't tell you who it is, in case one of these days I get this silly thing published! :)



Sea King's Daughter


This second piece is a necklace that is also connected to my series of novels where an Anthropologist goes to study the land of Fairy Tales (called the Landus Fantasticus, or the Land of Happily Ever After). 

While this year's NaNo was dedicated to writing of her adventures in the Noble Court (hence the bracelet above), last year I wrote of her adventures on the Coast. While there, she ends up visiting the Sea King.

This particular necklace was made with the Sea King's daughter in mind.



I chose the silvery peacock pearls for three reasons. First, the way the lights shifts and shimmers on them make me think of the sea. Secondly, they're pearls, which connects them even more to the ocean. And thirdly, because Syranne herself has a fondness for silver. 

I then paired them with matching crystals, and added a clasp that made me think of an underwater flower. The result is a necklace that, while perhaps not the most complicated necklace I ever made, perfectly matches the character I had in mind. 

 


Rose of Aniad


This third necklace is a bit of a cheat, as it's not connected to my Landus Fantasticus novels. However, it is connected to my writing--specially, to a story that is very near and dear to my heart, and was featured here--and I couldn't help but show it off. 

...Besides, it has a tassel, and we all know how much I like tassels. *grin*


Copper, plum-purple, and forest green are the colors of Aniad. 

What is Aniad? 

It's one of the Four Houses of Elenan--a land I made up, where the story takes place. This land is currently being overrun by an invader from the North, a Tyrant, who essentially is taking over by force. There is a Resistance that's fighting him... and at the heart of the Resistance is the Storyteller of Aniad.

Her name is Cedar. 



Her son, Mannesh, is actually the main character of that story--but this necklace set is more dedicated to her than to him. 

For that reason, I chose not only to go with the colors of Aniad (and the leaves--it's a House mainly located in the forest, so trees and leaves are a bit part of their House symbolism), but also the rose focal as well... One of Cedar's many titles (or nicknames, if you will) is actually the Rose of Aniad.


I'm actually in love with how these pieces turned out... I've always loved the Aniad colors, and I'm thrilled with how well they came together for this particular set.


Well, there you go. Those are the pieces that I made for this month's writing-inspired-jewelry challenge. It's late, but hopefully still worth it! (And hopefully not completely riddled with grammatical errors... I'm still recovering from the Stomach Bug of Doom, so my apologies if any of this doesn't make sense... Oi.)

Thanks everyone for stopping by today... Thank you so much for your patience, and I hope you have a fantastic last day of November!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)