Monday, September 25, 2017

Reveal - SJ Designs Jewelry Honey Do List September Design Challenge!

Every month, Sarajo Wentling over at SJ Designs Jewelry hosts the Honey Do List Challenge. 

What is the Honey Do List Challenge, you ask? It's where her husband, Eric, issues her a beading challenge--with the intent that she both use up some of her bead stash and get out of her comfort zone. Luckily for me, she lets others play along, too!

Now, I wasn't able to play long last month... But, happily, I was able to join in for September's challenge!


Here was this month's inspiration:



Sunflowers! (Heh, great minds think alike... sunflowers were also the inspiration for this month's We're All Ears Challenge.)

Here is what Eric had to say about these pictures:
I haven't been out with the camera as much as I'd hoped recently.  Looking for something to prolong the summer, I decided on posting these sunflower pictures.  One of these was from the MN Landscape arboretum, while the other was a self-planted seed from our own bird feeder!  I have plenty of shots of bees all over these things but wanted to stick with just the flower this time.  Show me some last gasp of summer in jewelry form!

Now, I mentioned that there was an earring challenge this month that also centered around sunflowers--and yes, I did make some sunflower earrings for it. And, as a result, I kind of cheated for this Honey Do List challenge. 

No, I'm not using those earrings for this reveal... But I am using the necklace that I made to match! 



I couldn't help myself... once I made the earrings, I was on a roll! Besides, I had more of those happy little sunflower charms that I wanted to use. :)

About the necklace: it is made with glass and metal, and is extremely dainty. All of the wire-wrapping was done with 26 gauge bronze wire; thicker wire overpowered the little seed beads. I used both brass and gold accents to mimic the shadows cast on the inside of the flower by the petals.



Truth be told, I'm a little worried that it might be too delicate... I've used thin wire for necklaces before with positive results, but something about this one is giving me pause. I'm hoping to play around with it just a little more to make sure it's up for the rigors of normal wear. 

...Or maybe that's just my excuse to wear it a lot. Hah. In any case, if I make any changes, I'm sure I'll end up posting them here!


So, there you go! That is the necklace that I made for this challenge. Thank you, as always, to both Sarajo and Eric for letting me play along! 

...And thank you, readers, for stopping by today to see what I made! Please be sure to check out the reveal on SJ Designs to see what other artists have created, too.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I love the necklace you made to go with this month's We're All Ears earrings@ It really is so sweet and dainty. Wear testing is always a good idea, but sometimes I decide I just have to keep a piece for myself... but that's ok too. Wearing your own jewelry is good advertising! Thanks for playing along with us this month... check back on October 1st to see what Eric has up his sleeve for us next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I really like the dainty nature of this one...as well as the sunflower charms.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)