Friday, March 8, 2013

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone: Seed Bead Edition

Don't get me wrong.

I like seed beads.  


I mean, they are small... and rather pesky... and there was that time in middle school when I accidentally dropped an entire bowl of them on the floor.  

In the carpet. 

And it did take hours for me to pick up, lying on my stomach and painstakingly finding them one by one.


Anyway.

I really don't have anything against seed beads, lingering middle school trauma aside. 

I just don't use them all that often.  


Sure, sometimes I'll use them for stringing a simple necklace, or as spacers on hairsticks. In the past, I have done some loom-weaving and dabbled in bead embroidery (hence actually having seed beads in middle school)...  

But they are not my medium of choice.



That being said, there are people out there who do absolutely amazing things with seed beads.  Even if some of the pieces are not quite my style, I cannot deny the sheer amount of skill that goes into making these works of art. 

And so, I have been quite content to let these incredibly talented people work their magic, while I work with substantially larger beads.


That was, until this past Tuesday.  

For some reason, Tuesday morning, I suddenly got the burning desire to play with seed beads.  

Now

Bead-weaving on a loom? Yes, please! Free-form bead embroidery? Of course! Flat and tubular peyote stitch and Russian-style leaves?  Yes, yes, yes!  

Kind of scary, actually.  


Still, I have learned through experience that, when I get these urges, it is best to listen to them.  Otherwise, I will just be miserable until I actually do something about them.

So, I dug up my past bead embroidery materials. I did a little online research, and went to the local Hobby Lobby to pick up some different needles and thread. I didn't get any special seed beads; I figured I could use what I have for practice.  If I find that this is something I enjoy, I can start getting the beads made specifically for such activities. 


RESULTS

So, you might be wondering: where do things stand now, as I stretch myself out of my comfort zone and start learning new things?

Well, let me walk you through the three different things I tried.

First up: my attempts at tubular peyote.

I cannot believe I am actually posting this picture here for the
internet to see.  *hangs head in shame*

...Sad. Just very sad.

I am not exactly sure what I was expecting on my first try, but it is rather humbling to look at those misshapen bead-blobs. Those poor misshapen bead blobs.

There is a glimmer of hope, however...  This morning's attempts have proven to be a bit better:

It's actually a tube! And behaving in the way that it's supposed to!

Cue the dramatic lighting!

Next up: my first attempts at flat-stitched peyote.



...Getting warmer. Even though I had to use my larger 6/0 beads because my thread was too big for my smaller beads, I think my first attempts weren't too shabby.



And, lastly: my continued attempts at bead-embroidery.

I decided to do something free-form, not using a sketch or really having a plan. Something about that spontaneous, flowing creativity is both extremely appealing and extremely intimidating--learning to trust myself, to stop obsessing and worrying and just letting myself enjoy the process.


I'm not done, and I'm no expert, but I am pleased that I haven't completely lost the knack.



The fabric that I used as my backing was a scrap of material from my last well-loved pair of jeans.  

Why did I pick it?  

Because it was there, and readily accessible, and because trying to find something else would have taken too long for my purpose-driven creativity to stand.



CONCLUSION

So, do I think I will end up being one of those amazing, crazy-talented seed beaders? 

I honestly have no idea. My first inclination is "probably not," but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

And, regardless, I am pleased that I am at least trying.  There is definitely something to be said for that, and continually pushing to learn.

...And, so far, I haven't dropped any of my beads into the carpet.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)