Friday, February 22, 2013

Why anafiassa?

It has occurred to me that I should probably explain my username.  After all, I use it both here and on my Etsy site...  and anafiassa isn't exactly a common word.


The Short Explanation:

Anafiassa means "wondrous." I picked it, not to say that I am wondrous (hardly!), but to recognize that, no matter how grumpy I get, my life is amazing and filled with lovely, beautiful things.  

...And it is those lovely, beautiful things that I want to share with the world... to bring shimmers of light into people's lives, and perhaps to make them smile when they're having a bad day.

I can hear you now: "it's a random piece of paper with squiggles on it."
Keep reading to learn just what
this random piece of paper with squiggles has to do with anything!

The Long Explanation:

You're still reading?  Yay!

Now, you might be wondering in just what language anafiassa means wondrous.  I'll tell you: in Ishuan.

What is Ishuan, you ask?

A language that I created.

...So, yeah, there's that.  I create languages for fun--mostly to use in my novels, but also just because it's fun.  I have about five good, solid languages that I've worked on--from the phonology to word-structure to grammar.  I've even worked on alphabets.  Ishuan is, by far, the most advanced language that I have done.

(Trivia: I actually wrote my wedding vows in Ishuan, and read them like that at the wedding--well, in English, too. I have a very, very supportive husband.)

Anywhere, here is the translation of those squiggles piece of paper:

Did you see it?  Did you see the word "anafiassa"?

In case you missed it, this is what my screen name looks like, written in the original Ishuan:

So, there you have it--the origin of anafiassa.

Thank you for letting me explain the meaning behind my screen name...  and for letting me share just a little piece of myself with you.

Hopefully, one day, my words will live up to my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)