Friday, February 8, 2013

Happy Birthday, Mommy!

Today is my mother's birthday.

Golly, I love my mommy.

In honor of this wonderful lady--and, really, just for fun--I have decided to set up an interesting challenge for myself today.

A color wheel from 1908,
courtesy of ye olde wikipedia

You see, my mommy's favorite color is yellow.

My favorite color is purple.

Guess what--those two colors are complementary!  (Yay modern color theory!)

And so, today, I'm going to see if I can make anything cool that incorporates those two colors.

Goethe's symmetric color wheel,
circa 1810

Obviously, working with complementary colors can be a bit tricky--the result should be visually stimulating, not horribly jarring.  

We shall see how I do!

(Of course, my endeavors might be cut short, given my distinct lack-o'-yellow beads, but it's worth a shot!)

--

So, I just did a little research into color theory, and gah it gets complicated.  

(Is it made with additive or subtractive primaries?  Are you using pigments or wavelenghts?  Did you know that psychophysics is a thing?)

For the purpose of this fun little exercise, I think I'm going to just stick with the basics!

Oh, and want a fun color wheel to play with?  Check it out: 
color wheel, from Fire Mountain Gems!

--

UPDATE at 9:05 EST:

Woo!  I just finished!  :D

Not sure if I will be able to post pictures tonight (bad lighting), but I will certainly be posting pictures soon!  

Yay!

--

UPDATE at 10:31 EST:

So, I just tired to post two pictures--placeholders, if you will--to prove that I really did finish things today.

Except that it didn't work.

Sooo, I will try again tomorrow.  And, since I sent pictures to my mum, she can attest that I really did finish four items today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)