Sunday, October 14, 2012

Vacation Crafting, Part 4: Crochet

This is the last installment in the Vacation Crafting series...  I hope you've enjoyed it as much as I've enjoyed writing it! 

---

So, crochet and I have an interesting history.

Look at them, all lined up and pretty:
my crochet hooks.

I first learned to make crochet chains in middle school, when I got the chicken pox.  In fact, my sister and I both learned at the same time, because we both got the chicken pox at the same time.

We made many, many crochet chains.  I am not even sure how many skeins of yarn we went through.

Ultimately, those chains became garlands for our Christmas tree.  The poor thing looked like a sweater.

Unfortunately, that was the extent of my crochet knowledge; making chains was the only thing that I could do.  And that was how it was for the longest time--because any other attempt to learn crochet ended up in tears and frustration.  Seriously--there was one time I actually sent myself to my room because I was getting so out of sorts.

And that was how it remained…  until this past vacation.

The Captain's Chair...
In other words: my mum's porch chair with her crochet bag.

While on vacation, my mother taught me the next step: single crochet.

And I actually learned how to do it.

You see that?  It's my very own, very first
single crochet piece!!

…And it didn't stop there.  When I got home from vacation, I practiced more--just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

I tried more regular, worsted yarn.


I tried thin crochet thread.

...You can't really tell, but that is a 1.25mm
crochet hook and some crochet thread.

Then I started experimenting.  I tried making necklaces.  (No pictures of those, sorry--the first attempt didn't go so well...  But, I will persevere!)

…And then I graduated to the ruffle scarf.*

Ruffle scarves are such fun to make!  Here is
the process picture...

...And here is the finished product,
in better lighting.

I even created my own pattern for a more full, more winter-worthy ruffle scarf.  It takes two skeins instead of one, and--as far as I know--is completely unique among ruffle scarves.

It's actually rather like a boa...  A boa of awesome!  :D

And so, that is where things stand.  Who knows where I will go next.  Indeed, I have already been playing around with more necklace ideas (ones that will actually work), and I have become fully addicted to making ruffle scarves.  I have even been contemplating the next step: double crochet.

What exciting times!

---

Thank you so much for joining me in this blog series...  I always enjoy crafting and learning--and getting a chance to write about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :)